Diary - My dad hasn't slept well lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My dad hasn't slept well lately. He often sleeps at 10 pm and wakes up at 2 pm or 4 pm. Sometimes he may cook at 2 or 4 pm and wash the dishes. And That creates a loud noise. However, I've gotten used to it. Also, I've also got my black-out curtains. Now, nothing can wake me up. I'm very happy about that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My dad hasn't slept hasn't been sleeping well lately. He often sleeps goes to sleep at 10pm and wakes up at 2pm or 4pm. Sometimes he may cooks at 2pm or 4pm and then washes the dishes. And That's creates a loud noise very noisy. However, I've gotten used to it. Also, I've also got my black-out curtains. Now, nothing can wake me up and I'm very happy about that.
See above. I don't think you've grasped the concept of not sleeping well. It usually means that someone isn't getting a lot of sleep. Your father appears to be getting about 16 hours sleep every night. That's not normal!
I suspect you meant to say that sometimes he wakes up and cooks at 2am or 4am. Am I right?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
See above. I don't think you've grasped the concept of not sleeping well. It usually means that someone isn't getting a lot of sleep. Your father appears to be getting about 16 hours sleep every night. That's not normal!
I suspect you meant to say that sometimes he wakes up and cooks at 2am or 4am. Am I right?
Yes. It should be 2am or 4am. :ROFLMAO:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo I would say he "goes to bed" at 10pm. (People with insomnia often get up in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If Maybo knows that his dad actually goes to sleep at 10pm, then the phrase is fine.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If Maybo knows that his dad actually goes to sleep at 10pm, then the phrase is fine.
How does she know when he goes to sleep? (That's unknowable.)

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I see him lay on the bed at 10pm. Does it count goes to sleep? When I use “goes to sleep”, does it mean fall into sleep?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see him lay [go to] lie on the bed at 10pm. Does it count goes as going to sleep? When I use “goes to sleep”, does it mean "fall into sleep"?
If you only see him go into his room and lie down on his bed at 10pm, use "He goes to bed ...". If you know he falls asleep at 10pm, say "He goes to sleep ...".

It's your experience so say what you mean. We can only guess what your dad does.

Yes, "goes to sleep" means "falls asleep". It doesn't mean preparing to sleep.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How does she know when he goes to sleep? (That's unknowable.)
They might be in the same room. If that's the case, it's probably pretty easy to spot when someone drops off (falls asleep).

Status
Not open for further replies.