Diary - Recently, temperatures have been gone up and down and up.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Recently, temperatures have been gone up and down and up. I know that some countries are snowing but my city is still quite hot. The good thing is that the weather is cooler in the morning and at the night. In the summer even if there was wind, it was hot. My favourite temperature is 15°C and I hope every day is cool like this.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Recently, temperatures have been gone going up and down and up a lot. I know that it's snowing in some countries are snowing but in my city it is still quite hot. The good thing is that the weather is it's cooler in the mornings and at the night. In the This summer, even if there it was windy, it was hot. My favourite ideal temperature is 15°C and I hope wish every day is cool like this were that cool.
See above. I'm not keen on the use of "up and down" in the opening sentence, even with my changes. I'd use something like "Recently, temperatures have been varying widely".
Remember that we generally use "it" for weather.

It's hot.
It's windy.
It's snowing.
It's very rainy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I would have continued the "ups and downs" a bit, thus: lately the temperature has been going up and down and up and down and up and down.

Yes, I know you could say the temperature has been varying quite a bit, but that's rather prosaic. (It's been the same here. It's warmer then it's colder. It's warmer then it's colder.)