Diary - There were something I regret not doing during the pandemic.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

There were something I regret not doing during the pandemic. If I'd studied Japanese during that time, I'd have finished studying elementary textbooks. Also, if I'd practised English writing and listening more during that time, my language skills would be stronger now. However, looking back at it, it might have been a good opportunity for my Japanese teacher to accumulate teaching experience. Her teacher teaching skills are better than before so I can benefit more from it now.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have no idea how that relates to what you regret not doing.
It is because I learned Japanese with her five years ago, and recently I've had classes with her again. The textbooks I'm using now are the same as five years ago.
I thought I wasted my time of not studying Japanese during the pandemic, but since her teaching skill has improved, I can learn better now.
Can you see the mistake there?
Should I say "There are something"?

My conditional sentences are correct finally.😭😭 It seems that I'm getting to understand the use of them.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Something" is singular. "There are" is plural. Your English is good enough to know that those don't go together. Note that "something" can only ever refer to one thing so if there is more than one thing you regret not doing, you need to work out what word(s) to use to express that after "There are".

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"Something" is singular. "There are" is plural. Your English is good enough to know that those don't go together. Note that "something" can only ever refer to one thing so if there is more than one thing you regret not doing, you need to work out what word(s) to use to express that after "There are".
Is it "some things"? The sentence should be "There were some things I regret not doing during the pandemic."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it "some things"? The sentence should be "There were some things I regret not doing during the pandemic."
Yes! Good work!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Maybo , learning and studying are not the same thing. You can study something without learning it, and the reverse is also true. I studied algebra in high school, but did I learn anything? Well, I don't know, but I don't remember much of it now.
😊

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is another important difference. You can see somebody reading a book and taking notes and assume they are studying. However, you can't see if learning is taking place. That happens inside a person's head.

As you can see, although they are related, but they are not the same.

Learning is the object of study, but it is not guaranteed. I have studied chess, but have I learned it well enough to play like an expert? No, I have not. On the other hand, I have studied poetry very little. However, I have written quite a few poems.

See?

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There is another important difference. You can see somebody reading a book and taking notes and assume they are studying. However, you can't see if learning is taking place. That happens inside a person's head.

As you can see, although they are related, but they are not the same.

Learning is the object of study, but it is not guaranteed. I have studied chess, but have I learned it well enough to play like an expert? No, I have not. On the other hand, I have studied poetry very little. However, I have written quite a few poems.

See?
I've studied English for many years but I've been able to really speak and write only in recent years. I still remember that five years ago or so, I could only speak words, not a full sentence. :ROFLMAO:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've studied English for many years but I've been able to really speak and write IT only in recent years. I still remember that five years ago or so, I could only speak words, not a full sentence. :ROFLMAO:
Well, you've come a long way.