Diary - Today, I passed by a stationery store in my neighbourhood.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I passed by a stationery store in my neigbourhood. The hanging signage on the store said "The last two days before closing down" so I bought some pens and notebooks from the store with 30%off. However, I was disappointed because it is the last stationery store around. There used to be a bigger stationery store nearby but it has closed down because of the Covid and rising rental. I hope a new stationery store opens soon.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, I passed by spotted a stationery store in my neigbourhood. The hanging signage A sign hanging on the store door said "The last two days before closing down" so I bought some pens and notebooks from the store with 30% off. However, I'm was disappointed because it is the last stationery store around in the area. There used to be a bigger stationery store one nearby but it has closed down because of the Covid and rising rental costs. I hope a new stationery store one opens soon.
See above.

There is a logic issue at the start. You opened by saying you passed by the shop. However, you then say you went in and bought things. It can't be both. If you "passed by" it, you didn't go in. I've changed "passed by" to "spotted" because, to me, it's likely that you were walking along the street, spotted the shop and its sign, and decided to go in and buy some discounted items.
You have a habit of repeating the same nouns over and over again. As you can see above, I've removed two instances of "stationery store" and one "store". Work on that.
I've also noticed that I frequently have to remove the article from before "Covid" in your pieces. It's not called "the Covid". It's just "Covid" or "Covid-19".
Did you really see that sign? If so, whoever wrote it didn't make a great job of it. In signs like this, we usually use as few words as possible. We generally wouldn't bother with articles. A sign (in the UK) would say "Closing down in 2 days!"

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Did you really see that sign? If so, whoever wrote it didn't make a great job of it. In signs like this, we usually use as few words as possible. We generally wouldn't bother with articles. A sign (in the UK) would say "Closing down in 2 days!"
Actually it was written in Chinese and I translated it into English.