Diary - Yesterday my mum and I walked for a long time so we have sore feet today.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Yesterday my mum and I walked for a long time so we have sore feet today. We've decided that we're going to lay on our bed for the entire day and not going to anywhere. Yesterday was great but the only thing I wasn't happy with was the smell of the shopping malls. In recent years, many of them have used a strong scent inside the malls to impress customers. However, have they thought of that maybe we don't the smell? I felt nauseated browsing a mall yesterday and left just in 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

We've decided that we're going to stay in bed all day and not go anywhere.

Also:

However, did it occur to them that some people wouldn't like the smell? I felt nauseated while browsing a mall yesterday and left in just ten minutes.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What's the difference between "did it occur to them" and "have they thought of "?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yesterday, my mum and I walked for a long time so we have sore feet today.
I'd probably say "... went for a really long walk" and "our feet are sore".
We've decided that we're going to lay lie on our beds for the entire day and not going to go anywhere.
I assume you and your mother do not share a bed, so you need the plural noun.
Study the difference between "lie" and "lay".
Yesterday was great but the only thing I wasn't happy with was the smell of the shopping malls.
This is a really odd sentence! You haven't mentioned malls at all. I assumed, until now, that you and your mum went out for a walk - in nature, or by a river, or something similar. On this basis, I'd change your opening to something like "Yesterday, my mum and I walked for miles round shopping malls".
In recent years, many of them have used pumped a strong scent inside the malls into the shopping area to impress entice customers.
I don't think they do it to impress people. This trick is used extensively in retail. Supermarkets sometimes pump the smell of fresh bread from the ventilation system and it entices people to visit the bakery section.
However, have they thought of considered the fact that maybe we some people don't like the smell?

I felt nauseated browsing a mall yesterday and left after just in 10 ten minutes.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never had sore feet because of walking a lot. You might want to consider getting different shoes. (I have walked all the way downtown and all the way back, but not in the same day. (They call it "uptown" here.))

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I have never had sore feet because of walking a lot. You might want to consider getting different shoes. (I have walked all the way downtown and all the way back, but not in the same day. (They call it "uptown" here.))
I walked for five hours yesterday but I had some rest in between. I wear sneakers every day. I can’t find better shoes. o_O