Diary - Today, I took an English-speaking lesson online.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today, I took an English-speaking lesson online. My teacher was surprised that I told her that the quality of Hong Kong public universities is better than private universities. I don't know why. Maybe it's because public universities have a longer history and better resources. Yesterday, I took a Japanese lesson. It's really hard to memorise Japanese characters. Actually, they are simple but very similar. I believe after I overcome the characters, everything will become a lot more easier.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Today, I took an English-speaking lesson had an online spoken English lesson. My teacher was surprised that when I told her that the quality of Hong Kong public universities is better than private universities. I don't know why. Maybe it's because public universities have a longer history and better resources.

Yesterday, I took had a Japanese lesson. It's really hard to memorise Japanese characters. Actually, They are actually quite simple but the problem is that they look very similar. I believe after I overcome my problem/issue with the characters, everything will become a lot more easier.
See above. I changed "took" to "had" because there is some ambiguity with "take a class". It can refer to both the student and the teacher. We've discussed this on the forum a few times. Using "have" removes the ambiguity.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Actually, they are simple but very similar.
I can't see anything wrong with that sentence. Consider saying "simple to write".
I also think "English speaking lesson" is okay (without the hyphen).