Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Spain
I have always had this quite nerdy habit of browsing dictionaries aimlessly.
I would like to do the same but listening instead of reading and I have tried with no avail to find an audio-dictionary.

(a) Do you know of the existence of any dictionary audio-book?

(b) If no to (a), do you know of a digital dictionary (e.g. the software version of the ODE) that could manage to be an acceptable surrogate? For example, the software has an option similar to Acrobat Reader's read-out-lout, but without the hyper-mechanical reading of phonetic notations and newlines.

If neither (a) or (b) exist, do you deem feasible to start a librivox-alike project or even a kickstarter campaign and get the thing going?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always had this quite nerdy habit of browsing dictionaries aimlessly.
I would like to do the same but listening instead of reading and I have tried with no avail to find an audio-dictionary.

(a) Do you know of the existence of any dictionary audio-book?

(b) If no to (a), do you know of a digital dictionary (e.g. the software version of the ODE) that could manage to be an acceptable surrogate? For example, the software has an option similar to Acrobat Reader's read-out-lout, but without the hyper-mechanical reading of phonetic notations and newlines.

If neither (a) or (b) exist, do you deem feasible to start a librivox-alike project or even a kickstarter campaign and get the thing going?

Welcome, Mlm!

I can't imagine an audio dictionary. How would you look up a word?

There are lots of online dictionaries. Just go to one, type two or three letters in the search field, and pick a word that appears in the dropdown menu. I just typed BRO into Merriam-Webster's search field and got a long list of words to choose from.

You can find information about English audio dictionaries here.

Last edited:
Most online dictionaries that I have seen give the pronunciation of the word, but not the rest of the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back