Did I not? Does she not? Has she not? Is she not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Are the parts in bold used when the speaker is surprised, angry, etc. Do they also express sarcasm?
I told you about it. Did I not?
She speaks French. Does she not?
She has a sister. Does she not? Has she not?
She is a doctor. Is she not?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You may occasionally hear an American use these (except for number three, both versions of which sound odd) to express emphasis. It's rare, though, and not something I'd recommend for a learner.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The first could well express a feeling of irritation that the listener has forgotten about whatever 'it' is.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would say any of the others.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
The first could well express a feeling of irritation that the listener has forgotten about whatever 'it' is.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would say any of the others.
Are they old-fashioned forms? Is any of them grammatically wrong? Why are they rare? Sorry, lots of questions. I just don't understand if ''Did I not is possible'' why other phrases are impossible.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are they old-fashioned forms? [STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Are any of them grammatically wrong? Why are they rare? Sorry, lots of questions. I just don't understand why, if ''Did I not" is possible'', [STRIKE]why[/STRIKE] other phrases are impossible.

They're uncommon - they do sound old-fashioned but they also sound overly formal. We would normally use the standard tag questions with contractions. Tone of voice would be what indicates sarcasm.

I told you about it, (pause) didn't I?
She speaks French, (pause) doesn't she?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
They're uncommon - they do sound old-fashioned but they also sound overly formal. We would normally use the standard tag questions with contractions. Tone of voice would be what indicates sarcasm.

I told you about it, (pause) didn't I?
She speaks French, (pause) doesn't she?

Oh, I see now. I wanted to ask about my sentences with ''have.'' I undersand now that they are old-fashioned and sound overly formal, however each of them is grammatically correct. Am I right? For example, ''She has a sister.'' ''Does she not? Has she not?'' Correct but old-fashioned.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, I see now. I wanted to ask about my sentences with ''have.'' I undersand now that they are old-fashioned and sound overly formal, however each of them is grammatically correct. Am I right? For example, ''She has a sister.'' ''Does she not? Has she not?'' Correct but old-fashioned.
More than that. Archaic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still wouldn't make them separate sentences. They're just longer (and less likely) versions of tag questions.

She has a sister, does she not?
She has a sister, has she not?

Their meaning is exactly the same as "doesn't she?" and "hasn't she?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think there's much more to this than their simply being alternative tag questions. I also think they cannot be explained as merely archaic.

Questions like this have specific uses. That is, there are good reasons why somebody would use Have I not? instead of ... haven't I? These reasons would invariably be because the former creates an effect which the latter does not. The effect is likely to be one of showing a certain attitude about what is being said. For example, an attitude that could be shown by the first sentence pair is irritation, or impatience.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I just don't understand if ''Did I not is possible'' why other phrases are impossible.

I didn't say your other phrases were impossible. I meant that your first sentence pair makes good sense but that the others do not. That means that it is not very easy (or not as easy) to think of contexts in which they may be said.

All of your sentences are grammatical, but the grammar is not relevant here. Your question should be asking whether (or how) these forms can be used.

What I think is confusing about this thread is that you seem to have made up sentences that you don't know the meaning of. Don't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.