Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello.

There's an altercation between two people.
One of them threatens the other one that the latter must not work for the third person being referred to as the posh one.
The other man replies, 'You've got to ask yourself how he became posh in the first place',
and then he goes on to say, 'His grandfather probably did your grandfather with a shovel'.

Now, I feel as if I know what it means, but I have a little doubt constantly asking me what is this?
So I am here, asking you to help me clarify this question and finally make me calm :).

I would be grateful for grammar being fixed in this post.

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:
There's an altercation between two (!!) people.
One of them threatens [STRIKE]another [/STRIKE] the other one that the latter must not work for the third person being referred to as the posh one.
The [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE]other man replies,

Unfortunately, I haven't the faintest idea about this grandfather-shovel thing.

'His grandfather probably did your grandfather with a shovel'.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I cannot give you an answer.

(2) But I can tell you that there's a phrasal verb "do in somebody." It often

means to kill someone.

(3) Maybe (a big maybe) the sentence is:

His grandfather did in your grandfather with a shovel. / His grandfather did your

grandfather in with a shovel.

Hello.

There's an altercation between two people.
One of them threatens another one that the latter must not work for the third person being referred as the posh one.
The another man replies, 'You've got to ask yourself how he became posh in the first place',
and then he goes on to say, 'His grandfather probably did your grandfather with a shovel'.

Now, I feel as if I know what it means, but I have a little doubt constantly asking me what is this?
So I am here, asking you to help me clarify this question and finally make me calm :).

Thanks, Alex.
It's quite simple, I think. The shovel is neither here nor there. It could have been a knife or a gun - but out on the gold-fields, or wherever this action is taking place, a shovel might have been handier.
The rich person is the person who kills or steals other people's money, or the descendents/benefactors of such people

He is rich because he descended from people who did other people with a shovel.
You are poor because you descended from one of those people done with a shovel.

Thanks, everyone.

I reckoned he meant a killing but thanks to Raymontt's great explanation now I've got the idea why.
I knew it had something to do with history but couldn't even think about gold diggers!

Again, Raymott, you're a great help!

And thanks everyone for participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back