Did you see/Had you seen the trailer before you watched this movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1. Did you see the trailer before you watched this movie?
2. Had you seen the trailer before you watched this movie?

3.Did you ever go to London before your trip?
4.Had you ever been to London before your trip?

What's the difference?

Last edited:

2 is unnatural.

1.Did you ever go to London before your trip?
2.Had you ever been to London before your trip?

1 is unnatural. "Ever" usually goes with the perfect tense.

1. Did you see the trailer before you watched the movie?
2. Had you seen the trailer before you watched the movie?

What's the difference?
In the first pair, (1) is more likely although both are possible.

In the second pair, (4) is more likely although both are possible.

What's the difference?
Your question is easier to deal with if you number them as I have numbered them above. Then we don't have two #1s and two #2s.

All four are possible. #1 and #3 simply present the two events as happening one before the other. #2 and #4. lay more stress on the completion of the first action.

There is nothing wrong with 'this movie' if that is what you mean.

From all your answers I've understood that #1 and #3 are new actions that like "5jj" said happening one before the other. #2 Means, "In your life had you seen this trailer before watching this movie" it is no specific time or action.
1.I never saw the trailer before watching this movie.
2.I'd never seen the trailer before watching this movie.

What's the difference here if I say it like this?

Last edited:
Abe: I saw the trailer for this one. It should be really good.
Bob: I hope you're right.

Abe: I saw the trailer for this one. It should be really good.
Bob: I hope you're right.
I didn't understand what you just said. I want to know the difference between:

I didn't understand what you just said. I want to know the difference between:
I don't understand why you used past tense there. I also don't understand why you insist on using "never" in those sentences.

The dialogues are designed to illustrate natural speech. In this one the two people are discussing a movie. The first one says he's seen the trailer, and it looks like the movie must be really good. The second one says he hopes his friend is right about it being a good movie.

As Tarheel said, "never" is out of place in those sentences.

I didn't see the trailer before I watched the movie.

It'd really help if you provided context.
Why are you saying this?
Are you saying this in response to something someone said?
What are you saying this in response to?

As Tarheel said, "never" is out of place in those sentences.

I didn't see the trailer before I watched the movie.

It'd really help if you provided context.
Why are you saying this?
Are you saying this in response to something someone said?
What are you saying this in response to?
Do you understand Hindi? Hello ap kese ho. Can you understand that?

Yes, I speak Hindi. Why?

If you're planning to ask me questions in Hindi, I'd advise against it.

Yes, I speak Hindi. Why?

If you're planning to ask me questions in Hindi, I'd advise against it.
Oh I was but It was other question and not about this post because on that question I got multiple different answers so I thought maybe a Speaker who understand hindi might get what I want to say.

Yes, I speak Hindi. Why?

If you're planning to ask me questions in Hindi, I'd advise against it
Additionally, Almost my all doubts are clear but 1 still remains and I am having hard time figuring it out and It's word because with "past perfect or simple" For example:
In Hindi: "Wo bhooka the kyuke usne khana/kuch nahi khaya tha"
In Hindi: Uski car gandi thi kyuke usne wash nahi ki thi"
In these both examples I got answers From American speakers they said both correct and past simple is natural and informal and most of the British speakers (not all) said here using past simple means "He didn't eat & He didn't wash hi car" as habitual action repeated action in past and but other said both past simple and past perfect mean the same here. Using words like yesterday, Tuesday etc. for example/Context : "Yesterday I went to his house and his car was dirty because he didn't wash it" here I got different answers too some said past simple is understandable here and it means as specific action but same British speaker told me past simple here also mean as repeated action not single. I am confused what would you think If i use past simple in all those examples would you think I am talking about repeated action or single?
Context: "I was playing with him and he smelled so bad maybe because he didn't shower/hadn't showered"
"He was so hungry and waiting for food to come because he didn't eat (well).
I've struggling for the past 2 months It would be really helpful If you could just explain it to me.

You've been struggling because you ask questions without context.

In one of your multiple threads on this issue, emsr2d2 advised you to think of a real life context where you might use these sentences and then ask questions. You haven't done that.

Don't compare English grammar with Hindi. They're different languages and they work differently.

Context isn't just the example sentence. It's the background and the situation and the reason you say a particular sentence.

I think I've mentioned it before I watch alot of Movies and shows and we've got a group where we discuss about the film in English and usually we talk in past tense so I need to know what is right If i get into situation like that.
For example:
I am at party with friends and I eat alot of food and my friend ask me: Why were you that hungry?
What would I reply?
Because I didn't eat (well) or I hadn't eaten.
I've already given you car wash example up there.
If I'd gotten same answers I would not be asking this again and again.

I think I've mentioned it before I watch alot of Movies and shows and we've got a group where we discuss about the film in English and usually we talk in past tense so I need to know what is right If i get into situation like that.
Why aren't you asking us about sentences you're likely to need to use while discussing films? It seems to me that that would be far more useful!

I am at party with friends and I eat alot of food and my friend ask me: Why were you that hungry?
What would I reply?
Because I didn't eat (well) or I hadn't eaten.
Because I haven't eaten the whole day.
Because I haven't eaten since morning.

And you may not always get the same answers because there are often multiple ways of saying something.

@the batman learner It can be hard to know how to respond to a post that's so long. For starters, say: "Almost all of my questions have been answered, but one still remains."

It is not helpful to speak/write Hindi (or any other language) to learn English. Why? It defeats the purpose. Yes, when you are first starting you might compare the words of one language to he words of another to some extent, but you're not doing that (just starting out).

You have already gotten replies to some of your questions. Pay attention! 😊

It might be better to deal with one thing at a time rather than everything at once.

Because I haven't eaten the whole day.
Because I haven't eaten since morning.

And you may not always get the same answers because there are often multiple ways of saying something.
I am not lying this is my last question on this matter. Yes I know But I am talking about past He asked me "Why were you hungry" not why are so what would I reply with past perfect or simple.
Because I didn't eat .(well)
Because I hadn't eaten .(well)
Because I hadn't eaten the whole day.
Because I didn't eat all day.

I am not lying - this is my last question on this matter. Yes I know, but I am talking about the past. He asked me "Why were you hungry?" not "Why are you hungry?" so what would Should I reply with the past perfect or the past simple?
Because I didn't eat .(well)
Because I hadn't eaten .(well)
Because I hadn't eaten the whole day.
Because I didn't eat all day.
Why were you so hungry?
Because I hadn't eaten all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back