Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
There was a situation where I wanted to use this sentence:
"He was smelly (maybe) because he didn't shower
"He was smelly (maybe) because he hadn't showered"
Do they mean the same thing?

Context: My friend tells me He went to our other friend house 2 days ago and He was stinking and I reply "He was smelly because he didn't shower/hadn't showered" The meaning I want to deliver is "He didn't shower earlier that day and later when my friend met him he was smelly " So what would I use here and what's the difference in daily life conversations?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was a situation where I wanted to use this sentence:
"He was smelly (maybe) because he didn't shower
"He was smelly (maybe) because he hadn't showered"
Do they mean the same thing?

Context: My friend tells me he went to our other friend's house two days ago and He was stinking and I reply "He was smelly because he didn't shower/hadn't showered" The meaning I want to deliver is "He didn't shower earlier that day and later when my friend met him he was smelly " So what should I use here and what's the difference in daily life conversations?
They are used differently. (See below.)

I was in a hurry, so I didn't shower.
I hadn't showered all day, so I was kind of smelly.

Does that help?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Context: My friend tells me He went to our other friend's house 2 days ago and He was stinking and I reply "He was smelly because he didn't shower/hadn't showered" The meaning I want to deliver is "He didn't shower earlier that day and later when my friend met him he was smelly " So what would I use here
He was smelly because he hadn't showered.

"He was smelly because he didn't shower" - it was not part of his routine to shower.
"He was smelly because he hadn't showered" - showering was not part of his activities in the time leading up to his being smelly.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I've got one more question with different examples it would be really helpful to get answers.

Like you all said "didn't shower" would imply he didn't shower as habit so here's example.
"His phone died because he didn't/hadn't put it on charge"
So here "didn't mean as habit he didn't put it on charge? Because to me it sounds like a single specific action rather than a repetaed. Earlier he didn't put it on charge and later it died. Can I get explanation What's really the difference and when is past perfect necessary and when can I use Past simple instead of past perfect with the word "because"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"His phone died because he didn't put it on charge" could mean either that he routinely failed to to this or that he not not do so on this occasion. We have insufficient information to know for sure.

"His phone died because he hadn't put it on charge" can mean only that he failed to do it on this one occasion.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
So you are saying when there is context given and listener know what I am talking about then I can use didn't and it would mean he failed to do it on one occasion?

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I don't know why but I think past perfect is just not necessary here and majority of people would think that is as a single occasion

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also answered here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@the batman learner You have the bad habit of writing one long sentence when you should use two or three (or more) shorter ones. Also, the punctuation is confusing. Also, it would cause less confusion if you would ask about one sentence at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.