Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Why does "Tom's friend" convey a possessive relationship, while "Tom's a friend" serves as an introduction?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why does "Tom's friend" convey a possessive relationship,

The apostrophe followed by the letter 's' is possessive. So 'Tom's friend' is a person—a friend of Tom.

while "Tom's a friend" serves as an introduction?

This is a contracted form of Tom is a friend (of mine). It doesn't work especially well as an introduction.

Rob Pear

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The apostrophe followed by the letter 's' is possessive. So 'Tom's friend' is a person—a friend of Tom.
This is a contracted form of Tom is a friend (of mine). It doesn't work especially well as an introduction.
When we figure out that 's' is about possession, and when is 's' a letter 'is'?
proper noun + 's + noun => possessive?
proper noun + 's + noun phrase => 's = is (be)?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's the difference between a possessive and a contraction, and how do we know if a word is one not the other?

Context. And it's instantaneous. There is no figuring out involved.

If you just say "Tom's friend" that tells me instantly that you're talking about a friend of Tom. You don't even need a complete sentence. However, in "Tom's a friend of mine" it can only be a contraction. Nothing else would make sense.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
When How can we figure out that 's' is about possession, and when is 's' a letter not the verb 'is' or even the verb "has"?
Note the last part I added to your question. The basic explanation is:

- If there is a past participle verb in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is short for "has".
For example:
Tom's truly been much happier after quitting that terrible job. [Tom has truly been much happier after quitting that terrible job.]

-If there is just a noun phrase (and no other finite verb) in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is short for "is".
For example:
Tom's a happy-go-lucky guy. [Tom is a happy-go-lucky guy.]

-If there is an -ing verb in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is short for "is".
For example:
Tom's running fast. [Tom is running fast.]

-If there is already a finite verb (indicating tense) in the part of the clause that follows after the 's, then it is the possessive "s".
Tom's persistence paid off in the end. [The persistence of (the persistence that belongs to) Tom paid off in the end].

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Matt has one brother. OK