Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with a group of friend in an English club yesterday. I talked about my experience of traveling to Beijing and ate the Beijing hotpot there. We've already talked about Chongqing hotpot (spicy and peppery) for a while.

Sherry: I know that Beijing ones are different from Chongqing hotpot dishes.
Silver: Right, I went there in 2013 and ate in a restaurant. The waiter brought a big wok then added boiling water into it, then he added some spices like green onion, ginger, anise, cinnamon, etc. Then they gave me and my mom a small plate of sesame paste.
Rosa: Yeah, almost like that. And the next step is "Dip the mutton in the soup for seven seconds and then go with the sesame paste".
Silver: Right.

The intended meaning of the italic sentence is "Dip the mutton in the soup and wait for seven seconds then the mutton will ripe and then eat it with some sesame paste".

Is the italic sentence okay?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was chatting with a group of friend in an English club yesterday. I talked about my experience of traveling to Beijing and ate the Beijing hotpot there.
Try fixing the mistakes in the underlined parts.
We've already talked about Chongqing hotpot (spicy and peppery) for a while.
How does that fit into the overall context?
Sherry: I know that Beijing ones are hotpot is different from what you get in Chongqing. hotpot dishes.

Silver: Right, I went there in 2013 and ate in a restaurant. The waiter brought a big wok then added poured boiling water into it, then he added some spices ingredients like green onion, ginger, anise, cinnamon, etc. Then they gave me and my mom a small plate of sesame paste.
Rosa: Yeah, almost like that. And the next step is "Dip the mutton in the soup for seven seconds and then go with the sesame paste".
Silver: Right.

The intended meaning of the italic sentence is "Dip the mutton in the soup and wait for seven seconds then the mutton will ripe and then eat it with some sesame paste".

Is the italic sentence okay?
It's not clear. How do you use the sesame paste?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Try fixing the mistakes in the underlined parts.
I was chatting with a group of friends in an English club yesterday. I talked about my experience of traveling to Beijing and ate the Beijing hotpot there. (Perhaps ate the Beijing hotpot dishes there?)
How does that fit into the overall context?
Last night we were talking about travelling and food, and Sherry brought up the hotpot culture right here in my city. My city is famous for its hotpot soup and dishes.
Then we talked about the Beijing hotpot dishes, which are quite different from the ones in Chongqing.

1) I don't understand why you used "ingredients" instead of "spices". I think "green onion, ginger, anise, cinnamon and star anise" are all spices. They weren't in power form.

How do you use the sesame paste?
The sesame paste is in a plate like the second picture of this page.

When the mutton meat is edible (no longer raw, but ripe), we put it in the sesame paste and eat it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was chatting with a group of friends in an English club yesterday.
That's right.
I talked about my experience of traveling to Beijing and ate the eating/trying Beijing hotpot there.
Note the parallelism (of traveling ... of eating).
We 've already talked about Chongqing hotpot (spicy and peppery) for a while, then we got talking about Beijing hotpot.

I don't understand why you used "ingredients" instead of "spices". I think "green onion, ginger, anise, cinnamon and star anise" are all spices.
Green onions are not considered a spice.
The sesame paste is in a plate like the second picture of this page.
When the mutton meat is edible (no longer raw, but ripe), ready to eat, we put it in the sesame paste and eat it.
Then say that.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I find it hard to believe that the immersion of raw mutton in boiling water for seven seconds renders it fit to eat.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I find it hard to believe that the immersion of raw mutton in boiling water for seven seconds renders it fit to eat.
It’s sliced mutton, not the mutton as a whole. You can take a look at the picture I posted in the OP. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's very thinly sliced. When i was introduced to it, I was told to wait until the meat changed colour rather than to wait for seven seconds.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The link is in the second-last sentence of post #3, but the picture is not a good one at all. It does not show any thinly sliced meat!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can‘t see a picture in the OP.
The link is in the second-last sentence of post #3, but the picture is not a good one at all. It does not show any thinly sliced meat!
The link is in the OP in the second sentence, in the phrase "Beijing hotpot". We can't see it because the administrator has changed the format and color of the fonts since Tdol's passing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The link is in the OP in the second sentence, in the phrase "Beijing hotpot". We can't see it because the administrator has changed the format and color of the fonts since Tdol's passing.
Please note that Red5 has very kindly changed the formatting so that links are now underlined with a blue line.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

My comment above arose from the confusion between 'lamb' and 'mutton', which the Chinese recipe appears to use interchangeably.

In the West, 'lamb' is the meat of young sheep typically not much older than one year, whilst 'mutton' is meat from sheep older than two years, which needs much longer cooking times to become tender.