Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This is about giving a person advice. The other speaker thinks getting education doesn't always guarantee success.

"Don't hurry/rush to ditch your education. If someone gets a success, doesn't mean the same will happen to you. Don't project their lives onto yourself."

By saying hurry/rush to ditch your education, I mean "hurry/rush to give up your education. Is "gets a success" idiomatic?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Success" is generally uncountable* so we don't use it with an article. "If someone gets success" isn't natural. Use "If someone is successful ...".

*Strangely, we do use "successes" as a countable noun - the plural is OK but the singular isn't. Don't you love English?!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"Success" is generally uncountable* so we don't use it with an article. "If someone gets success" isn't natural. Use "If someone is successful ...".

*Strangely, we do use "successes" as a countable noun - the plural is OK but the singular isn't. Don't you love English?!
Yes, I love English :). Is the rest of my piece correct? Especially "hurry/rush to ditch education.'

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that you are talking about going to college. (That's what this conversation is usually about.) You might say that some people do quite well without a college education, but that doesn't work for everybody. In other words, most should finish college.

If you tell me not to "ditch" something I would think you are telling me not to get rid of something I already have.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It seems that you are talking about going to college. (That's what this conversation is usually about.) You might say that some people do quite well without a college education, but that doesn't work for everybody. In other words, most should finish college.

If you tell me not to "ditch" something I would think you are telling me not to get rid of something I already have.

If it's about the person who is already studying, then would "ditch" work with either "hurry" or "rush"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would find it more natural to say something like "Don't be in a rush to quit/leave school/college".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In the American idiom quitting school or college is often called dropping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.