Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

Would you please tell me if we can say 'I thanked the woman helping me' to mean 'I thanked the woman who helped me'? Or 'I like books having good plots' to mean 'I like books that have good plots'?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear friends,

Would you please tell me if we can say 'I thanked the woman helping me' to mean 'I thanked the woman who helped me'? Or 'I like books having good plots' to mean 'I like books that have good plots'?
1. You could, but your first sentence tends to imply that she's still helping you. The second choice is less ambiguous
2. "I like books having good plots" is also ambiguous. It could mean "I like books to have good plots." In this case, the meaning would normally be the same.
So neither of your suggestions is an improvement.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can, but I don't see why you would want to, when the second sentence of each pair is more natural.

Rover

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. You could, but your first sentence tends to imply that she's still helping you. The second choice is less ambiguous
2. "I like books having good plots" is also ambiguous. It could mean "I like books to have good plots." In this case, the meaning would normally be the same.
So neither of your suggestions is an improvement.
Thank you for your explanation, it really helps.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
You can, but I don't see why you would want to, when the second sentence of each pair is more natural.

Rover
I was studying the sentence structure like "do you know the man who lives next to you = do you know the man living next to you".

But after Raymott's explanation, I realize it doesn't always work to simply apply one single rule to each case. Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.