Do you smoke now? or Are you smoking now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFTOK

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1 When we were at school you smoked. Ten years has passed. Do you smoke now? or Are you smoking now?

2 You told me that you quit smoking recently. But you smell of cigarettes. Do you smoke now? or Are you smoking now?

3 You told me that you quit smoking recently. But you smell of cigarettes. Do you smoke again now? or Are you smoking again now?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please frame a question in future rather than merely posting the alternatives, Roftok.

The problem is that few of the possibilities are really natural:

1. More natural: You smoked/used to smoke when we were at school. Do you still smoke? The speaker is unlikely to mention the time lapse - both people know it.

2/3. You told me that you quit smoking recently. But you smell of cigarettes. Have you started again? Are you smoking again?

ROFTOK

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
1. More natural: You smoked/used to smoke when we were at school. Do you still smoke? The speaker is unlikely to mention the time lapse - both people know it.

But "still" is not "now", I want to sort the things out with "now". I think it's OK to say "Do you smoke these days?" Right?

2 What if it goes like this:

When we were at school you smoked. Then you quit. Do you smoke now? or Are you smoking now?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1 When we were at school, you smoked. Ten years has have passed.

2 You told me that you [have/had] quit smoking recently no full stop here but you smell of cigarettes.

3 You told me that you [have/had] quit smoking recently no full stop here but you smell of cigarettes.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ten years has have passed.

I differ from emsr2d2 in that I don't think the original is wrong. Ten years is a period of time, and can be seen as singular.

However, we can also see ten years as a large number of years and use the plural verb.

ROFTOK

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, somehow you ignored this:

2 What if it goes like this:

When we were at school you smoked. Then you quit. Do you smoke now? or Are you smoking now?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, somehow you ignored this:

2. What if it goes like this?

I didn't ignore them. I intentionally removed the parts in bold because 5jj had already given you very helpful responses. I had nothing to add to those. I simply wanted to indicate the errors in the rest of your post.

ROFTOK

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I didn't ignore them. I intentionally removed the parts in bold because 5jj had already given you very helpful responses. I had nothing to add to those. I simply wanted to indicate the errors in the rest of your post.
Why them? It is only one example which hasn't been explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.