Does 'in a favorable political environment' need to be seperated by commas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
So the middle-class society that we had for a generation, after World War 2, was created by the rise of unions in a favorable political environment by the use of government power to equalize wages by high taxes on top incomes.

I'm doing a transcription FYI, so I kind of need some help with it.

Is there a pause after "unions", even a slight one?

Re: Does 'in a favorable political environment' need to be separated by commas?

So the middle-class society that we had for a generation after World War 2 was created by the rise of unions in a favorable political environment and by the use of government power to equalize wages by high taxes on top incomes.

I'm doing a transcription FYI, so I kind of need some help with it.

Why do you need help?

Hi, matacar, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please remember to tell us the source and author (where known) of every text you quote here. Context is important, too: in this case, a member posted a suggested correction to the text, not realizing that it's another excerpt from the transcription you described in your other post.

I hope you'll have a long and fruitful stay here!

If you want us to check that it's an accurate transcription, we'll have to see/hear the original. Can you post a link?

Re: Does 'in a favorable political environment' need to be separated by commas?

Why do you need help?
THere is no "and" in the sentance. The speaker didn't say it.

Hi, matacar, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please remember to tell us the source and author (where known) of every text you quote here. Context is important, too: in this case, a member posted a suggested correction to the text, not realizing that it's another excerpt from the transcription you described in your other post.

I hope you'll have a long and fruitful stay here!
I did mention that I was doing a transcription. It seems that I need to be more precise with my words. Sorry, will pay attention next time. Thank you for having me. <3

Infortunately, I cannot send you the original. It is not possible. However, I can tell you that the speaker did not pause when starting to speak the words I quoted, however he did pause a little after the words I quoted.

No pause after unions, however, there is a slight pause after "environment", like the speaker is trying to make you put a comma there.

there is a slight pause after "environment", like the speaker is trying to make you put a comma there.

That sounds like a good reason to put one there, then.

Last edited:
There is no pause after "unions"; however, there is a slight pause after "environment", like the speaker is trying to make you put a comma there.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

I honestly did not care about the pause that the speaker made. I just believed that comma are needed there out of feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back