Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1) Phil asked us to translate a Chinese sentence into English in our online group. Gary helped him but Phil was still asking in our group. Then Phil asked me to help me. I am not good at translating and I think Gary's translation is good, so I said to Phil:

a) Gary has done a great job of translating the phrase.

Is the above italic sentence natural?

2) Suzie is my friend and Jason knows her. Today, I chatted with Jason about Suzie. Suzie has been learning English very hard by herself for many years and she has improved a lot. I said to Jason:

b) She's been doing a great job of learning English be herself throughout these years.

Is the above italic sentence also natural?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the above italic sentence natural?

Yes.

b) She's been doing a great job of learning English by herself throughout these years.

It's okay. I think a more natural version would be 'over the years'. Note the typo with 'by'.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think doing a great job in translating is also good.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) In our online chat group, Phil asked us to translate a Chinese sentence into English. [STRIKE]in our online group.[/STRIKE] Gary helped him but Phil was still asking [STRIKE]in our[/STRIKE] the group. Then Phil asked me to help [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] him. I am not good at translating and I [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] thought Gary's translation [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was good, so I said to Phil:

Is the above italic sentence natural? Yes.

2) Suzie is my friend and Jason knows her. Today, I chatted with Jason about [STRIKE]Suzie[/STRIKE] her. [STRIKE]Suzie[/STRIKE] She has been [STRIKE]learning[/STRIKE] studying English very hard by herself for many years and she has improved a lot. I said to Jason:

b) She's been doing a great job of learning English by herself [STRIKE]throughout these[/STRIKE] for many years.

emsr2d2

Status
Not open for further replies.