Lisa123

Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello there,
Would you please tell me whether it is correct or natural to answer” I’m doing great.” when someone says, “ What’s up?”
It puzzles me. Please help me. Thank you.

The expression/question, "What's up?" is usually used as a question about things happening in general and not usually about one's personal well-being. So, the response as posted would not be a typical response.

I presume you're asking about the use of What's up? as a greeting, and not a question about wellbeing.

When used as a greeting, it would be appropriate simply to repeat the phrase to the person who said it to you, or to respond with an alternative greeting. Don't think of it as a question that needs answering.

As a greeting wussup is also characteristic of AAVE (African-American Vernacular English). If the person using it is not African-American they are probably trying to sound cool.

Last edited:
What's up, as a greeting is very common in AmE. You commonly hear it shorted to 'sup nowadays with younger generations.

While it is common to reply in kind as Jutfrank suggested, it's also very common to respond with something like not much (you?) I do use the expression myself, and if I'm actually doing something, I'll respond literally. Otherwise, I'll just respond with not much/nothing, or as is common in my region, nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back