Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with a Chinese woman in a chatroom. She said she once talked to a native speaker of English and that native speaker told her:

Don't use "oral English" because "oral" has sex connotation.

I wonder if the italic sentence is natural. If not, how can I express it naturally?

Don't use "oral English" because "oral" has a sexual connotation.

Only somebody with a dirty/immature male adolescent's mind would consider 'oral' a word with a sexual connotation.

There's no need whatsoever for anybody to avoid saying oral English/exam/hygiene/cancer/history/communication/commitment/antibiotics or a host of other perfectly normal collocations.

I wholeheartedly agree with Rover, but I would never use "oral English" anyway. I prefer the terms"spoken English" or simply "speech".

Only somebody with a dirty/immature male adolescent's mind would consider 'oral' a word with a sexual connotation.

I can assure you that it was just as snigger-worthy to me and my female friends when we were 16 and preparing for our French and German oral exams. Every single time the word was mentioned, we tittered. Boys/men certainly don't have the monopoly on finding connotations.

Does Oral English have a connection that other sexual forms don't have have? It sounds like rubbish to me.

Does Oral English have a connection that other sexual forms don't have have? It sounds like rubbish to me.
Do you want to talk about it?

This reminds me of that time my friends and I were filling out a form.

Name: Glizdka
Sex: Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back