Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What does "Doom on you" mean?

I heard it in the movie "Ice age".

What does it mean? I tried getting the meaning from the internet but I am confused. It says "Doom (someone or something) to something. What does "Doom (someone or something) to something" mean?

Can it only be used for a person or for an object as well?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It isn't an expression that I have ever heard in BrE. The Urban Dictionary gives it as a euphemism for a phrase that forum rules would forbid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What does "Doom (someone or something) to something" mean?

It means you make it inevitable that something bad will happen.

The Coronavirus has doomed many people to losing their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It means you make it inevitable that something bad will happen.

The Coronavirus has doomed many people to losing their jobs.

You have doomed us to die by setting us up.

Can I say "Doom on China"? Is it correct?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you wish for something bad to happen to China, then I suppose so.

Honestly though, I've only heard the expression used in a somewhat sarcastic or humorous sense. It's just too melodramatic to be taken (or used) very seriously. It's almost a stereotype - something you might expect to hear a preacher use in a fire and brimstone sermon.

Is this the clip you're referring to? There's a certain sense of humorous irony here, because the bird speaking is a dodo, which became extinct. Of course he's talking to several other soon-to-be extinct species (woolly mammoth and ground sloth), so it's like humorous foreshadowing.

Note that he says "If you didn't save enough food, than doom on you." That's the more typical use: "If X , then doom on Y". Still, it's almost hyperbole.

The other use I'm familiar with stems from the military and the Vietnam war era. It's an anglicized corruption of a particular Vietnamese phrase which sounds like 'doom on you' in English. You can probably research it yourself on the internet, but it's crude enough to probably merit avoiding on this forum.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Honestly though, I've only heard the expression used in a somewhat sarcastic or humorous sense. It's just too melodramatic to be taken (or used) very seriously. It's almost a stereotype - something you might expect to hear a preacher use in a fire and brimstone sermon.

Is this the clip you're referring to? There's a certain sense of humorous irony here, because the bird speaking is a dodo, which became extinct. Of course he's talking to several other soon-to-be extinct species (woolly mammoth and ground sloth), so it's like humorous foreshadowing.

Note that he says "If you didn't save enough food, than doom on you." That's the more typical use: "If X , then doom on Y". Still, it's almost hyperbole.

The other use I'm familiar with stems from the military and the Vietnam war era. It's an anglicized corruption of a particular Vietnamese phrase which sounds like 'doom on you' in English. You can probably research it yourself on the internet, but it's crude enough to probably merit avoiding on this forum.

Okay, I am confused. You were saying "Doom on you" means "you have made something bad inevitable" but you are also saying "Doom on China" means I want something bad happens to China". I am more confused now. Please help.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tdol's definition (regarding inevitability) means that the actions performed have made it inevitable that something bad will happen. I'm offering another definition, in which the expression means you're wishing something bad to happen to someone - almost like a curse or hex. They're not contradictory, just different usages. They're all negative.

Have you checked a dictionary for 'doom'? Tdol's usage is verb definition 2a and 2b. My usage is verb definition 1.

"Doom on China" means you want the entire nation of China to suffer misery, death, and misfortune.
"China has doomed itself" would mean that China has created its own misfortune through its own actions.
"China is doomed" simply means that China is about to experience a catastrophe. The source or reason isn't specified.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suppose you could say it to your car if it won't start, but I doubt it will have any effect.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose you could say it to your car if it won't start, but I doubt it will have any effect.

I'd probably be using that Vietnamese version when cussing out my car. I like to think that anthropomorphizing things makes them suffer my wrath more.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

How about this?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Okay, I am confused. You were saying "Doom on you" means "you have made something bad inevitable"

I did not. I was referring to the definition and the question you asked about that. I would not use doom on.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about this?

It's grammatical, but not particularly natural. It sounds like a bad plot reveal in a b-grade murder mystery.

You need to understand that this is not a widely used expression - it's just too melodramatic. I suggest you move away from trying to incorporate this into daily conversation. You're probably doomed to fail.

The whole reason they use it in Ice Age is for the comedic effect, as I previously noted. It's funny because it's so melodramatic and cheesy, not to mention ironic (coming from an extinct species).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Agreed, It's not a common expression, tufguy.

Forget it.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.