Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Europe
[FONT=&quot]Miss Ley would have thought it highly disgraceful to display feeling at some touching scene. She used polite cynicism as a cloak for sentimentality, laughing that she might not cry—and her want of originality herein, the old repetition of Grimaldi’s doubleness, made her snigger at herself. She felt that tears were unbecoming and foolish.
(from Mrs. Craddock by Maugham)

What does "her want of originality herein, the old repetition of Grimaldi’s doubleness, made her snigger at herself" mean?[/FONT]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can only guess that Maugham used the obscure word "doubleness" (which I've never seen until now) in place of the usual duplicity. "Want of" means lack of; "herein" means in the current context. "Snigger" means laugh quietly.

You didn't ask, but that she might not cry is an old-fashioned way to say "in order not to cry; to avoid crying".

Maugham uses very difficult language. Many native speakers would find the texts you've been quoting impossible to understand.

Peter Jiong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Europe
By the way, who is "Grimaldi"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(From Mrs. Craddock by W Somerset Maugham)

When you cite a source, put the book title in italics or quotation marks, and give the full name of the author.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way, who is "Grimaldi"?
I thought he was a previously-mentioned character. If not, a little Googling suggests he might be Joseph Grimaldi, a nineteenth-century Pantomime clown and actor who was apparently still famous in Maugham's day. I don't think "doubleness" means "duplicity" if that's the case. It might be a reference to some acting technique he was known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.