Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Last month, House Republican leaders kicked the Chamber off their strategy calls about the Democrats’ climate and social-spending package, dubbed the Build Back Better bill, despite their shared opposition to the legislation.
The Washington Post

Hello, teachers. What does the verb "dub" mean in the sentence?

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What's that got to do with it?
I thought if the bill was introduced by the Democrats, they must have been the ones who named it BBB, right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not necessarily. I assume the writer simply means that the bill has come to be known by a lot of people as the "Build Back Better" bill.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not necessarily. I assume the writer simply means that the bill has come to be known by a lot of people as the "Build Back Better" bill.
There's a bill titled, Florida Parental Rights in Education Act. But it was dubbed by critics, and is more commonly known as, "Don't Say Gay". But as I know, nothing similar happened to BBB. Build Back Better is the official title of the act.:unsure:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I believe the official title is “Inflation Reduction Act of 2022”.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Things (not only congressional bills) get dubbed by both proponents and opponents. Sometimes the term sticks even with those of the opposite viewpoint.

For example, the US healthcare legislation formally known as the Affordable Care Act was derisively dubbed 'Obama Care' by those who opposed it, but the term soon came to be used by both sides. Those who were in favor of it simply viewed it as a compliment (Obama himself once said he took it as a compliment because he was proud of it), while those who opposed it still used it as a slander.

Once the term made it into the mainstream media, everyone started using it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't even realize that it's just a nickname and think that's the official title. Love it or hate it, it's widely called Obama Care regardless of your opinion about it.

The term 'dubbed' carries a neutral connotation, not a negative (or positive) connotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.