Sammy Sam

Member Type
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Which preposition is best suited with the verb earn? What are your opinions on the following example sentences in terms of grammar and naturalness?

1. I am pretty sure she will be earning enough out of the business?
2. I believe she"ll be earning a lot from her business.
3. I hope she will earn enough off her business.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which preposition is best suited with to the verb "earn"? What are your opinions on the following example sentences in terms of grammar and naturalness?

1. I am pretty sure she will be earning enough out of the business.
2. I believe she'll be earning a lot from her business.
3. I hope she will earn enough off her business.
As SoothingDave said, "from" collocates best. However, why did you change the rest of the sentence? If you want to ask a similar question in future, please make sure the rest of the sentence is identical. You should have given the following three possibilities:

2. I am pretty sure she will be earning enough from the business.
3. I am pretty sure she will be earning enough off the business.

Sammy Sam

Member Type
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
As SoothingDave said, "from" collocates best. However, why did you change the rest of the sentence? If you want to ask a similar question in future, please make sure the rest of the sentence is identical. You should have given the following three possibilities:

2. I am pretty sure she will be earning enough from the business.
3. I am pretty sure she will be earning enough off the business.
I just provided different options to make sure if any of those prepositions best fit the rest of the statements.

Now that you made all of them similar, does only 'from' best fit the statement or are the other prepositions also work in British English?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1 doesn't work. You don't earn "out of" a business. You can take funds out of a business. But "earn" is not used like this.

3 is OK, but the American in me wants it to say "off of" the business.

Sammy Sam

Member Type
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
1 doesn't work. You don't earn "out of" a business. You can take funds out of a business. But "earn" is not used like this.

3 is OK, but the American in me wants it to say "off of" the business.
It got me a little confused on what is the difference between "earning from a business" and "taking funds out of a business".

To me there are two three types of earnings like

a). When you earn income that includes your profit.

b) And your sheer profit that is the extra cash you generate than what it actually cost you to buy a certain product you sold.

c) The amount you charge for your services.

Now some people who run a business take home the money for the services they are providing to their businesses and that money is categorized as expense just as you pay salaries to your employees for the services they render to the business. Salaries are expenses.

Some people take profit or some portion of profit out of the business. Despite the fact that profits belongs to the business and can be reinvested to expend the business.

Now what does it mean to take funds out of a business in American English in particular?

3. Interesting to hear that. So it means in American English it is okay to say "earn of the business.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
3. Interesting to hear that. So it means in American English it is okay to say "earn of the business.
No, SoothingDave meant that, for him, it's OK to say "I'm pretty sure she'll be earning enough off of the business". BrE teachers spend a lot of time reminding learners that while they might hear some native BrE speakers saying "off of", it's non-standard and should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.