Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
Please read the following sentence:
A product of the open-source software movement, wikis have been around in one form or another for about a decade.

My question is: Is the underlined part an elliptical structure of : As a product of the open-source software movement?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jiang

No, the original sentence is OK.

"A carnivore, the tiger eats only meat." Correct
"As a carnivore, the tiger eats only meat." Correct

Dear Raymott,
Thank you very much for your explanation. Could you please kindly explain the function of the underlined part?

A product of the open-source software movement, wikis have been around in one form or another for about a decade.
Jiang

It explains that wikis are a product of the open-source software movement.

Please omit 'kindly' below, which is redundant.
please kindly explain the function of the underlined part?
It looks like an appositive to me.

Wikis, a product of the open-source software movement, have been around in one form or another for about a decade.

Dear Matthew:
Thank you very much for your explanation.
There is one thing that I don't understand:
Wikis is plaural form while a product is in singular form. Is the sentence grammatically correct?
Jiang

Sure it is correct. The verb has been omitted, so you can take your pick. As a native speaker I would always choose "are" but if your instinct is to choose "is" it will not hinder you in the slightest from understanding the sentence.

Wikis is plural [STRIKE]plaural[/STRIKE] form while a product is in singular form. Is the sentence grammatically correct?
Jiang

A singular item can produce a plural product: My old hen lays four eggs a week. The four eggs are a product of my hen.

We are a team.

I found some relevant examples at https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/596/01/

An appositive phrase usually follows the word it explains or identifies, but it may also precede it.
A bold innovator, Wassily Kandinsky is known for his colorful abstract paintings.
The first state to ratify the U. S. Constitution, Delaware is rich in history.
A beautiful collie, Skip was my favorite dog.

"A product of the open-source software movement, wikis have been around in one form or another for about a decade".

No, the underlined expression is not elliptical. It's a noun phrase supplement that has an ascriptive meaning in that it adds additional, but non-essential, information about the head of the NP subject "wikis". It's called a supplement because it's not fully integrated into the structure of the NP, but is presented as a separate unit of information, a loosely attached parenthetical or additional element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back