Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kyrgyzstan
Current Location
Kyrgyzstan
I have a question about a few line from a song Emil Bulls - "In Any Case Maybe".
Full lyrics https://genius.com/Emil-bulls-in-any-case-maybe-lyrics

What does the first line of the chorus mean(the word class in this context is especially unclear to me):

We've lost class and grace
It's greed we embrace
We dwell in a haze
Generation in any case maybe

And i want to make shure that i understand correctly the fourth line. Does it stand for disappointment in the current generation due to its uncertainty and inability to think reasonably?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question about a few lines from a song Emil Bulls - "In Any Case Maybe".
Full lyrics https://genius.com/Emil-bulls-in-any-case-maybe-lyrics

What does the first line of the chorus mean space here (the word "class" in this context is especially unclear to me)?

We've lost class and grace
It's greed we embrace
We dwell in a haze
Generation in any case maybe

[STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] I want to make [STRIKE]shure[/STRIKE] sure that I understand [STRIKE]correctly[/STRIKE] the fourth line correctly. Does it stand for disappointment in the current generation due to its uncertainty and inability to think reasonably?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. Remember to capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun) every time you write it.

As a general rule, it's not a good idea to use song lyrics as examples of grammatical English, or even to expect them to make sense. In this case, it seems to me that the writer is trying to suggest that his/her generation doesn't think particularly deeply about anything, or perhaps they don't think long-term. It feels a little like saying "Generation Whatever!" I can't say that it makes much sense to me, even combined with the preceding lines.

I suggest that you simply enjoy singing along to your favourite songs and don't worry at all about the meaning or the grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.