They were attempting to determine if the Supreme Court's judgment in the case of "Boynton v. Virgini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the correct punctuation in this sentence?

They were attempting to determine if the Supreme Court's judgment in the case of "Boynton v. Virginia" was sustained, which had ruled that segregation at airports and on buses was unconstitutional.

Is it better to use "Boynton v. Virginia", 'Boynton v. Virginia' or Boynton v. Virginia?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
All three are equally acceptable, or you could italicize the case name. As an interesting little footnote, Canadian lawyers reading those case citations aloud would never say versus. In speech "versus" is always read out as "and". I think that is not true in the USA, where the Latin versus is used in speech. I'm thinking for example of the old movie "Kramer vs Kramer "

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, focuseddedication9@gmail.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote please.

If you wrote the original sentence yourself, please tell us in what context you wrote it.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
They were attempting to determine if the Supreme Court's judgment in the case of "Boynton v. Virginia" was sustained, which had ruled that segregation at airports and on buses was unconstitutional.
I'd change the word order.

They were attempting to determine if the Supreme Court's judgment in the case of "Boynton v. Virginia" was sustained, which had ruled that segregation at airports and on buses was unconstitutional, was sustained.

If "They" refers to a court, perhaps you mean "sustainable".

With "sustained", it sounds as if "They" refers to people examining a later judgment dealing with Boynton, to check if that later judgment upheld Boynton or not.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@focuseddedication9@gmail. Users are not allowed to post their email address, including using it as their username. You need to change your username. If you don't know how to do this, please post in the Support Area and someone will walk you through it.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
All three are equally acceptable, or you could italicize the case name. As an interesting little footnote, Canadian lawyers reading those case citations aloud would never say versus. In speech "versus" is always read out as "and". I think that is not true in the USA, where the Latin versus is used in speech. I'm thinking for example of the old movie "Kramer vs Kramer "

Just when you think Canadians can't get any weirder. ;)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I believe (not absolutely sure) that the same practice is followed in the US, at least by some. I think I heard an American lawyer who was interviewed recently (after Roe vs. Wade was struck down) call it Roe and Wade.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have never heard of such a thing. "And" implies that they are together, not opponents.

It's usual for it to simply be said, e.g. "Roe vee Wade."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thread locked. It will be reopened (if appropriate) once the OP has changed their username.

Status
Not open for further replies.