[Grammar] encouraged to or encourage should?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floor Koppejan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Dear all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first question. I am a Dutch teacher of English and currently we're having a debate about a multiple-choice question in a placement test.

The sentence reads The teacher encouraged her students .............. to an English pen-friend.

The options are: A should write B write C wrote D to write

I'd say the correct answer is D. The Key however suggests A as the correct answer. My colleagues agree on D being right, but some of them are convinced that A is right as well. I don't think so, but I find it difficult to argue why.

"The teacher encouraged her students should write to an English pen-friend." comes across as unnatural to me. If The teacher encouraged would be replaced byThat it could work as an answer to a question such as What did Ms Peterson tell you? That her students should write to an English pen-friend.

Am I right in thinking this, and if so, can anyone of you tell me why?

Kind regards,

Floor

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum! Only D is possible. I'm afraid I can't think of a way to explain why, but I'm confident a member better versed in grammar will jump in.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Floor Koppejan, and welcome to the forum. :)

There are various verb patterns in English, and one common one is that some verbs are followed by the full infinitive (to+verb). "Encourage" is one such verb. You are absolutely right that the only correct answer in that question is "D"; "A" is definitely wrong.

Take a look at the following links, and you can also search for similar threads on this forum.

https://www.grammaring.com/verb-object-to-infinitive
https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/verbs-followed-infinitive

Status
Not open for further replies.