Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Escape from recognition of SARS-CoV-2 Beta variant spike epitopes but overall preservation of T cell immunity​

SARS-CoV-2 variants have emerged that escape neutralization and potentially impact vaccine efficacy. T cell responses play a role in protection from reinfection and severe disease, but the potential for spike mutations to affect T cell immunity is incompletely understood. We assessed neutralizing antibody and T cell responses in 44 South African COVID-19 patients infected either with the Beta variant (dominant from November 2020 to May 2021) or infected prior to its emergence (first wave, Wuhan strain), to provide an overall measure of immune evasion.
Source: Science

I understand "Escape from recognition of SARS-CoV-2 Beta variant spike epitopes" as "Beta variant's escape from neutralizing antibody's recognition of the Beta variant spike epitopes", do you agree?
I'm sorry the question is a bit professional.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you are biting off more than you can chew.

**variants
**antibodies

Your explanation is confusing.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Escape from recognition of SARS-CoV-2 Beta variant spike epitopes but overall preservation of T cell immunity​

SARS-CoV-2 variants have emerged that escape neutralization and potentially impact vaccine efficacy. T cell responses play a role in protection from reinfection and severe disease, but the potential for spike mutations to affect T cell immunity is incompletely understood. We assessed neutralizing antibody and T cell responses in 44 South African COVID-19 patients infected either with the Beta variant (dominant from November 2020 to May 2021) or infected prior to its emergence (first wave, Wuhan strain), to provide an overall measure of immune evasion.
Source: Science

I understand "Escape from recognition of SARS-CoV-2 Beta variant spike epitopes" as "Beta variant's escape from neutralizing antibody's recognition of the Beta variant spike epitopes", do you agree?
I'm sorry the question is a bit professional.

I think you are right. The epitope is the part of a molecule that an antibody attaches to. Failure to recognize the epitope means that the immune response fails completely because our antibodies cannot attach to the pathogen to neutralize it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think the abstract suggests the variant can get past the antibodies. The T cells are a different matter and not fully understood, but seem to be tougher to fool. (Not a scientist)

Status
Not open for further replies.