Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is there any difference between "Eschewing international cooperation" and "avoiding international cooperation"?

Dictionaries do list "avoid" as the definition of "eschew." My guess is that "eschew" shows stronger intention than "avoid" to stay away someone or something. I am not sure.

=========================
Conventional wisdom is that a vaccine for COVID-19 is at least 1 year away, but the organizers of a U.S. government push called Operation Warp Speed have little use for conventional wisdom. The project, vaguely described to date but likely to be formally announced by the White House in the coming days, will pick a diverse set of vaccine candidates and pour essentially limitless resources into unprecedented comparative studies in animals, fast-tracked human trials, and manufacturing. Eschewing international cooperation—and any vaccine candidates from China—it hopes to have 300 million doses by January 2021 of a proven product, reserved for Americans.

-from Science Magazine [FONT=&quot]May. 12, 2020[/FONT]
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ouse-s-america-first-push-coronavirus-vaccine

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My guess is that "eschew" shows stronger intention than "avoid" to stay away someone or something.
It's more than that: it's actively rejecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.