Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Israel, Arabic Isrāʾīl, officially State of Israel or Hebrew Medinat Yisraʾel, country in the Middle East, located at the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea. It is bounded to the north by Lebanon, to the northeast by Syria, to the east and southeast by Jordan, to the southwest by Egypt, and to the west by the Mediterranean Sea. Jerusalem is the seat of government and the proclaimed capital, although the latter status has not received wide international recognition.

Source: Britannica

The meaning of "although the latter status has not received wide international recognition" appears to have two implications:
One is that the proclaimed capital nJerusalem has not received wide international recognition; the other is that the state of Israel has received wide international acceptance.

The first is clear while the second seems to be ambiguous. I am not sure.
Does the clause really have both implications?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, of course not. It's saying that the international community do not unanimously accept Jerusalem as the capital.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, of course not. It's saying that the international community do not unanimously accept Jerusalem as the capital.
What about the former-the state of Israel? Does the phrasing "although the latter status has not received wide international recognition" imply that the former received wide international recognition? It seems to be so - one of the reasons is that Einstein was an outspoken supporter of Zionism. I am not absolutely sure.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, I wouldn't say that that phrase implies in itself that Israel is widely recognised as a state, but there is that implication in the discourse as whole, yes. If it were significant that Israel were not widely recognised as a state, the omission of saying so would be questionable in an article such as this. So it's an implication by omission.

I can't see what Einstein has to do with anything.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I can't see what Einstein has to do with anything.
It is well-known that Einstein was once offered the presidency of Israel. Given Einstein was an outstanding representative of international community, his stance surely influenced the level of international recognition.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Jerusalem is the seat of government and the proclaimed capital, although the latter status has not received wide international recognition.
There's no ambiguity. The sentence gives two statuses, both of Jerusalem:
1. Jerusalem is the seat of government.
2. Jerusalem is the [proclaimed] capital.

The latter status has not received wide international recognition. "The latter" can only refer to the second of the two statuses contained in that sentence.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Given Einstein was an outstanding representative of international community, his stance surely influenced the level of international recognition.

This is kind of besides the point that we're discussing, but I don't think so.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is well-known that Einstein was once offered the presidency of Israel. Given Einstein was an outstanding representative of the international community, his stance surely influenced the level of international recognition.
I'm not sure what your definition of "well-known" is but I can tell you that I know exactly two things about Einstein:
1. His theory of relativity.
2. He was born in Germany and then got Swiss nationality.

I had no idea about the offer of the presidency of Israel and I've never heard him referred to as "an outstanding representative of the international community".