Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hello.

I paraphrased three sentences and I don't know which one is correct.

Is the usage of "except" and "except for" correct?

1-It is clear that men enjoyed more hours of leisure time per week than women in three out of five categories, except, two figures for women shown higher, namely employed part-time and housewives.

2-It is clear that men enjoyed more hours of leisure time per week than women in three out of five categories. Except, two figures for women shown higher, namely employed part-time and housewives.

3-It is clear that men enjoyed more hours of leisure time per week than women in three out of five categories. Except for, two figures for women shown higher, namely employed part-time and housewives.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
None of your second sentences work. Having mentioned 'three out of five categories', you can't go one to say 'except (for) two figures/categories'.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
It is clear that men enjoyed more hours of leisure time per week than women in three out of five categories. In the other two categories, namely "employed part-time" and "housewives", women scored higher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is clear that men enjoyed more hours of leisure time per week than women in three out of the five categories. In the other two categories, namely "employed part-time" and "housewives", women scored higher.
I assume this sentence is going to come after a table or a graph or similar. If that's the case, you don't need to name the two categories in which women got more leisure time - it will be clear from the table. If there isn't a table/graph, you need to name the three categories in which men had more leisure time as well as the other two.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
None of your second sentences work. Having mentioned 'three out of five categories', you can't go one to say 'except (for) two figures/categories'.
What I want to write is that men enjoyed more leisure time than men in three out of the five categories. However, there are two figures" categories" in which women are higher than men.

Should I replace "except" with "however"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
However doesn't work any better that except. Post #3 gives an example of the type of sentence you need.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@mrmvp Try:

Men enjoy more leisure time than women in three out of the five categories.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
three out of five categories of what?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@tedmc Categories of leisure time. (Frankly, I'm not sure what that means )

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@tedmc Categories of leisure time. (Frankly, I'm not sure what that means )
It's not categories of leisure time. Based on post #3, they appear to be categories of employment. The OP gave two examples as "part-time employed" and "housewives". As far as I can tell (and it will be great when the OP finally comes back and explains), there are five categories of employment and someone has compared how much leisure time men get in those categories with how much leisure time women get in the same categories.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 You are right. It's a comparison of the amount of leisure time people have in different categories of employment. (Why?)

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
It's not categories of leisure time. Based on post #3, they appear to be categories of employment. The OP gave two examples as "part-time employed" and "housewives". As far as I can tell (and it will be great when the OP finally comes back and explains), there are five categories of employment and someone has compared how much leisure time men get in those categories with how much leisure time women get in the same categories.
Thank you for your feedback. There are five figures demonstrate the differences between males and females in terms of leisure time per week. There are three figures in which men scored higher than women while the other two figures,namely employed part-time and housewives women scored higher than men.I uploaded the chart in the attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_٢٠٢٢١٢١٣-٠٠٣٢٣٣.png
    Screenshot_٢٠٢٢١٢١٣-٠٠٣٢٣٣.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 4

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can understand why there's no figure for men under "Housewives" (I'm purely going on the name - I'm not suggesting that there are no househusbands), but I can't work out why there are no men in the part-time employment section! I don't believe for one second that there are no men employed on a part-time basis in UAE. It doesn't make sense not to include them in the figures. In my opinion, that omission would make the entire study flawed.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I can understand why there's no figure for men under "Housewives" (I'm purely going on the name - I'm not suggesting that there are no househusbands), but I can't work out why there are no men in the part-time employment section! I don't believe for one second that there are no men employed on a part-time basis in UAE. It doesn't make sense not to include them in the figures. In my opinion, that omission would make the entire study flawed.

The bar graph has nothing to do with the UAE. It is taken from the book IELTS Writing 1 and 2 by Rachel Mitchell. The entire study might be made up and flawed. The purpose of writing my thread is to paraphrase the introduction as in post 1.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is taken from the book IELTS Writing 1 and 2 by Rachel Mitchell. The entire study might be made up and flawed. The purpose of writing my thread is to paraphrase the introduction as in post 1.
All of that information should have been given in post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.