Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hi All,

I wanted to ask you for you help regarding these two solutions in the following sentence

I am glad that the excess sum/excess of the sum that I have sent you is sufficient for the reconstruction of the church.

Thank you in advance for all your help

Both the underlined phrases are not normal. Why do you need to use the word "excess"? Do you mean "money which is more than necessary"? Surplus?

If I were to fill in the blank, I would just use "money".

The money (donation) was sent was something else and when it was finished there was money left for rebuiding the church..(the excess amount was used for rebuilding the church)

My natural reaction is to use something like this:

I am glad that the [STRIKE]excess sum/excess of the sum[/STRIKE] remainder of the donation that I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] sent you is sufficient for the reconstruction of the church.

This phrase "Excess sum" is very common in India.I know native speaker may not find that natural and I probably won't use it.
But for argument sake what would you call it if I give $500 every month and This time I gave you $700 instead,so $200 would be "The Excess sum" or "The Excess of the sum".
To me both sounds fine.What is your opinion?

Last edited:
Hi gurpreetgill4u,

I would just naturally say that you have given me "$200 too much", or in writing that you have "overpaid me by $200", or that you have "overpaid $200".

A phrase like "excess sum" in the UK is probably more likely to be used in very formal documents from the tax office, accountants, or insurance companies than be used in everyday writing and conversation. We certainly know what it means, and it does make sense, it just doesn't sound very natural in BrE.

Hi All,

I wanted to ask you for you help regarding these two solutions in the following sentence

I am glad that the excess sum/excess of the sum that I have sent you is sufficient for the reconstruction of the church.

Thank you in advance for all your help

Try:

I'm glad that the excess funds that I sent you were sufficient for the reconstruction of the church.

--lotus

Last edited:
I would use "were" there.

I would not use "excess sum" because "excess" is a sum itself which is more than necessary.

I would use surplus fund from __(whatever purpose)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back