[General] Excuse me, would you please air the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was eating in a small restaurant with my friend. There was a foreigner sitting close to the window. The room is not well-ventilated so I asked that foreigner to do me a favor. I said "Excuse me, would you please air the room?" Is it natural to say that?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand what you were trying to say. Were you asking the other person to open the window?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand what you were trying to say. Were you asking the other person to open the window?

Yes. Because the man was sitting next to a window. If he opens the window, the air will be better.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Because the man was sitting next to a window. If he opens the window, the air will be better.
American English: Excuse me. Could you open the window?

British English: Excuse me. Could you please open the window?

(In American English, please in that context would be an expression of impatience.)

If you asked me to air the room, I'd tell you to go ask the waiter to do it. If you want me to open the window, you have to ask me to open the window.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd probably say Excuse me, could you open the window, please? Oddly, the position of the "please" determines whether or not it expresses impatience.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Out of curiosity, how did you know he was foreign?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... and what has his nationality got to do with your question?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Out of curiosity, how did you know he was foreign?

Silver is Chinese so it was pretty easy: tall nose, round possibly light-coloured eyes. Foreigners may be unfamiliar with local custons and preferences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, I'll reword the question. How did you know he was a native English speaker? That's presumably the only reason you decided to speak to him in English.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silver is Chinese so it was pretty easy: tall nose, round possibly light-coloured eyes. Foreigners may be unfamiliar with local custons and preferences.

Much appreciated, probus.

OK, I'll reword the question. How did you know he was a native English speaker? That's presumably the only reason you decided to speak to him in English.

Hi emsr2d2, both your questions and Rover's are good ones. Let me tell you more about it.

I forgot to say that I went to a pizza restaurant. The owner of that restaurant has so many friends from different countries and most of whom are native speakers. However, this was not the reason I guessed that man I requested help to be a native English speaker. Many years ago I talked to people with different skin colors, eye colors, heights, etc, in English. Or at least, started a conversation with them in English when we first met. Later I found out that some of them are not native speakers but from European countries like France, Russia, Spain and so on. But, they had one thing in common - they speak very very good English.

It seems to be a rule here that when we meet people with different skin colors and faces, we start our conversations in English with them. Yes, sometimes it's interesting that they reply in Chinese or even in your local dialects. I have a few friends here who are native speakers but they are not professional English teachers. Also, I have some friends here who are foreigners and they study in some of the universities here.

Not only do I approach people with different skin colors here in English, I also try to make friends with them. Do you, ems, still remember once you helped me with my paragraph (one of which) in the Editing forum? You corrected it by using the expression "I'm hoping to start an English club here. I talk to people in English to make me more confident?" Yes, I was talking to both foreigners and Chinese in English at that time and tried to ask them to join my English club. Ah, yes, once I talked to a man who looked like Chinese but he spoke Korean to me.

I'm somtimes very bad-tempered and impatient; I'm sorry for being that person. But again, each time when I read the things you and others have corrected and rewritten for me. I feel very happy. Because I speak and use idiomatic and perfect English and I learn perfect English from all of you!

I hope I've answered your questions. Any more questions will be very welcome!

P.S.: See if you can access this website. It was founded by a Chinese-Australian (A man who was born in China and later became a citizen of Australia). This man hosts many English clubs in Chongqing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.