Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An example sentence using "pun" in The Britannica Dictionary: The delicatessen is sandwiched, if you'll pardon/excuse/forgive the pun, between two stores.

I can't understand the bolded sentence. Is "pun" not a good thing, so it needs to be pardoned?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A pun is meant to be playful, so I don't see the need to ask for pardon.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@WilliamTaft
Some people groan when they hear a pun. Do you see the pun in that sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, we use "pardon the pun" a lot. Even though we've probably made the pun intentionally, we almost make out it was an accident. We're saying "Ignore how hilarious I am and concentrate on the main meaning of my sentence". We're not really apologising or asking for forgiveness. It also draws attention to the pun for anyone who might have missed it!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think puns (along with jokes) are things that are often puzzling to ESL learners. (I could be wrong, but I don't think so.)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The effete of the 18th century held that "puns were the lowest form of humor". Anything that didn't mimic the supposed elegance and dignity of Greek and Roman literary forms was considered lowbrow, so deliberate attempts to play and mangle the language were viewed as gauche.

There's a (now antiquated) saying variously attributed to Samuel Johnson and Alexander Pope (and possibly others) that goes something like "He who would pun would pick a pocket."

The Johnson/Pope quote was used in a funny scene from the excellent movie Master and Commander.