Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
PC Magazine covered the test in their latest issue, calling our machine “fast enough to burn the sand off a desert floor.”

In the above sentence, what does the bolded phrase mean? it is about a very powerful new PC product.

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
PC Magazine covered the test in their latest issue, calling our machine “fast enough to burn the sand off a desert floor.”

In the above sentence, what does the bolded phrase mean? it is about a very powerful new PC product.
For those who will be taking English language exams, I would recommend forgetting this phrase. As science officer Spock would say, "it is illogical." I can even imagine its use leading to a loss of marks.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase is a metaphor. Supposedly the machine runs so fast that the resulting friction burns the sand. Here the author is playing on the fact that the verb 'run' can be used to describe both rapid physical movement and machine operation.

Another possible (unintended) interpretation is that the machine runs so hot (generates heat as a result of operation) the resulting heat burns even sand. CPUs generate heat when running, and the faster they run, the more heat (hotter) they produce. That why computers have internal fans and heat sinks, to help distribute the heat which result as a side effect of operation.

I'm sure that's not the intended meaning, because running hot is a negative aspect of computers. You may have seen a negative PC/laptop review that comments on how hot the unit gets when running at peak performance.. People who upgrade their machines for better performance often install bigger or more powerful CPU fans to help with the increased heat.

I don't think it's a particularly good metaphor, either.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could it have something to do with silicon being derived from sand? It's an odd image.

zeonis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Could it have something to do with silicon being derived from sand? It's an odd image.
What a creative idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.