Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I plan to visit my friend in Scotland but I’m not familiar with that country. I want him to help me to find a hotel which is not expensive but offers comparatively good service. I said:

Could you find me a cost-effective hotel to live?

Is the sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. We don't "live" in hotels (when we're on holiday/vacation). We "stay" in a hotel. You don't need a verb at the end at all.

Can you find me a good value hotel?
Can you find me a decent budget hotel?
Can you find me some cost-effective accommodation?

Note that you start your piece by saying you want him to help you but your actual request is for him to do all the work. Try to rephrase the question so that it's clear that you want his help but you want to do at least some of the searching yourself.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Try to rephrase the question so that it's clear that you want his help but you want to do at least some of the searching yourself.
Did you mena that I can use the three questions suggested by you but I need to tell him that I want to do some of the searching myself? Or did you mean that I should now rephrase my question to include the point of I should do some work?

Much appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you mena mean that I can use the three questions suggested by you but I need to tell him that I want to do some of the searching myself no question mark here or did you mean that I should now rephrase my question to include the point of I should that I am willing to do some work?
I'm saying that the three questions you suggested, all of which are grammatically correct, don't carry the same meaning as the second sentence in your explanation. Do one or the other. Either say "I want him to find me a XXX hotel" and then suggest your three sentences, or say "I want him to help me find a XXX hotel" and then suggest three sentences that make it clear that you will both be searching for a hotel.