Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
All data in computer are changed into electronic pulses by an input unit.
Answer: in computer

The patient who was not supposed to be released until the end of the week was told to dress in clothes and report to the nurses'station.
Answer: in clothes

The function of pain is to warn the individual of danger so he can take action to avoid more serious damage.
Answer: so

Most newspapers depend on the wire services from their international stories and photographs.
Answer: from

Can you please explain to my the reason why? :(
Thank you all in advance :up:.

Last edited:
All data in computer are changed into electronic pulses by an input unit.
Answer: in computer

The patient who was not supposed to be released until the end of the week was told to dress in clothes and report to the
Answer: in clothes

The function of pain is to warn the individual of danger so he can take action to avoid more serious damage.
Answer: so

Most newspapers depend on the wire services from their international stories and photographs.
Answer: from

Can you please explain to my the reason why? :(
Thank you all in advance :up:.
All the answers, with the exception of "so", are wrong.

All the answers, with the exception of "so", are wrong.

??

... in THE computer,
dress in clothes is odd, but what is missing after "the"?
FOR their international news stories

I don't really see the problem with the one with "so" - someone will have to explain that one to me.

I don't really see the problem with the one with "so" - someone will have to explain that one to me.
From the American Heritage Dictionary:
Many critics and grammarians have insisted that so must be followed by that in formal writing when used to introduce a clause giving the reason for or purpose of an action: He stayed so that he could see the second feature.

BC's quotation from the American Heritage Dictionary reflects what I was taught at school in England fifty years ago. Even then many of us must have omitted the that or there would have been no need to teach it. My personal view that this is a hangover that persists from the good old days (?) of the prescriptive grammarians. I use that because it was hammered into me so thoroughly, but I do not think it is essential, and certainly not in conversation. 90% of native speakers would not notice this 'error' if a student made it. Indeed, I suspect that many, or even most, native speakers commit the sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back