Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
T(10).png

Hello.
Do you find the phrase "flick me a message" idiomatic? Have you ever heard/seen/used it before?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Where did you see/hear it?

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I came across it on a dating site. It was actually written by a native speaker of English. Not sure, it's been a while since I took that screenshot but I'd reckon she was American.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's non-standard English, but I can guess what she means.

Don't expect to read standard, correct English on dating sites or other social media platforms.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I always thought that I will would end up with my first love. Damn! I didn't. not ! He just let me down dumped me for a skinny biatch b*tch. I just want to enjoy my life now. Guys, flick me a message.

As Rover said, don't expect good English on such sites. If you want to see how it should be written in correct English, see above.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's like Tinder, one has to swipe to connect with someone. Using "flick" to indicate a movement of the finger is not a far stretch, giving a command to the app on the phone.

Like others said, it is not an idiom or a common expression, but it is completely understandable.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As Rover said, don't expect good English on such sites. If you want to see how it should be written in correct English, see above.

'Biatch' is a fairly common alternate spelling/pronunciation of 'b*tch'. Granted, that post did have multiple errors, I wouldn't consider 'biatch' one. It's pronounced /BEE-ahhtch/, with the 'ahhh' frequently drawn out. I took it as slang rather than a misspelling.

It's sometimes used as a somewhat milder form of the 'real' world - similar to using 'dang' in place of d*mn, or 'gosh' in lieu of 'god'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Biatch' is a fairly common alternate spelling/pronunciation of 'b*tch'. Granted, that post did have multiple errors, I wouldn't consider 'biatch' one. It's pronounced /BEE-ahhtch/, with the 'ahhh' frequently drawn out. I took it as slang rather than a misspelling.

It's sometimes used as a somewhat milder form of the 'real' world - similar to using 'dang' in place of d*mn, or 'gosh' in lieu of 'god'.
I should have made it clear that I didn't cross out "biatch" as a spelling error as such. I'm aware of the usage and the pronunciation, although I might expect to see it written as "bi-atch" or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.