Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi everyone.

I m here with a bit of a problem and hoping for some assistance.
I ve lived in Canada since birth and went to school here. After graduating from High school, I had to go overseas with my family for 5 years. Now I m back in Canada. But now, I have a problem with my English speaking skills for some reason. I cant pronounce some words properly and I also seem to have an accent now. Any advice on how to get the fluency back and how to get rid of the slight accent?
Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Being away for 5 years is certainly long enough to slip into being less of a near-native speaker. I expect that the longer you're back in Canada and the more you interact with native speakers, as you used to on a daily basis, your fluency will return pretty fast. Have you noticed that the pronunciation problems are always with the same sounds? Out of curiosity, where did you live for those 5 years?

One thing about your post - during those 5 years, you also appear to have lost the apostrophe from your keyboard! Please edit your post and put the apostrophes where they should be. Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This phenomenon is not uncommon. My wife has lived in Canada for forty-plus years and speaks perfect English, but her native language is not English. When she returns to her native India she is tongue-tied and uncomfortable in her native language. But this only lasts for a few days, and then she is happily jabbering away again.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What sounds cause you problems?

Status