Other
Native Language
Zulu
Home Country
Aaland
Current Location
Zimbabwe
Greetings,

So this is a problem I've been struggling with for quite some time now. English is a second language for me despite the fact that I've spend a lot of my childhood years in Australia (grades 1 through 6), after which I moved to my home country where I rarely used English outside of school. Now that I've moved back to Australia, I often get comments from my native speaking friends on both my written and spoken English. But no means would I say that I'm terrible at English. I'm able to speak and write the language with a great deal of proficiency and confidence, and with perfectly acceptable grammar. Nonetheless, my sentences seem to sound a little bit off at times, and often too formal (especially in speech).

I was able to identify some of the possible issues like using the wrong prepositions (eg. "make a note in my calendar"), or avoiding them altogether by relying on adjectives ("house keys" instead of "keys to the house"), which I suppose is fine but can make my sentences very clunky and difficult to comprehend. But there is also a more complex dimension to the problem, particularly relating to sentence structure and the way I tend to express my ideas. It is this aspect of my written language that I am most keen on improving.

Ill give an example. I was filling a form the other day that required an address. Since I was staying temporarily at my friends house, I wrote: "The address I provided is for my friend's house. I am staying with him for a few weeks. I will provide a new address when I move". My friend, who is a native speaker, suggested I write: "I am staying at a friend's house for a few days until I find a place of my own". Now this will definitely seems trivial to native speakers, but its a sentence structure that wouldn't come naturally to me. Needless to say that it is by far a better sentence to use. Perhaps this doesn't have to do with my English per se, but more so with my writing skills in general, as I would probably have ended up with an equally terrible sentence had I used my native language!

But the issue for me is nonetheless the same, which leads to my question: What do you think would be the best way for me to improve writing fluency so that I sound more like a skilled native writer? Will reading books help, and if so, can you recommend a few that I can start with? (I rarely read aside from academic papers, textbooks, and newspaper articles). While I have come to terms with the fact that I most likely will never a reach a native level of proficiency, particularly in speech, nonetheless, any improvement would definitely help.

Any advice, comments, or criticism are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Reading whole books can be challenging even for an advanced learner, but reading is a very important source. If you want to move into this area, why not start with short stories and medium length texts in the areas that you are already reading in?

airry87

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
I recommend reading more English books like you used to. In addition, you should read some of the "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strip. It contains large words (for a comic) and it would also allow you to understand idioms and practice your English. Thus, when you speak, you will have more practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.