C

Carter7Gindenv

Hello, a quick question about subtle word usage. Should we say:

"Focus will be placed on something"
"Focus will be set on something"
"Focus will be put on something"

Alternatively should we say:

"Focus will be on something"

I suppose that all 4 are correct but what is the subtlety behind them? I also suppose that usage will be similar with "effort", "attention" and so on?

Cheers from Switzerland

Hello there, and welcome to the forum. :)
We encourage learners to provide full sentences, where possible, in their questions. That way, we can give a more accurate and meaningful answer.

Do you have a sentence in mind that you're trying to phrase?

As in French, every sentence must end with the appropriate punctuation mark.

Did you see those sentences somewhere, or are they your own invention?

(I can focus on something, but I don't/can't/won't put my focus on something.)

I didn't thought that the context was so important. Here is the sentences I wrote for a scientific article.

"The resulting effect is a destabilization and fall of limestone blocks. For this reason focus will be placed on the marl layers as well as experiments. "

Thanks for your help!

I didn't think [STRIKE]thought[/STRIKE] that the context was so important. Here [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are the sentences I wrote for a scientific article.

"The resulting effect is a destabilization and fall of limestone blocks.

That's grammatical, but sounds a bit awkward. Can you show us the sentences before and after it?

For this reason focus will be placed on the marl layers as well as experiments. "
What do you mean by "as well as experiments"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the correction I'll try to pay more attention.

There is no sentences after this. ( Still thinking about what to say ).

"Because of their dark color those marl will be more susceptible to daily insulation. Coupled with their weak structure they will weather quicker than the limestone. The resulting effect is a destabilization and fall of limestone blocks. For this reason focus will be placed on the marl layers as well as experiments. "

I meant that focus AND experiments will be on marl layers. But yes the sentence is overall unclear this way. I'll try to find a better way to express it.
However I was curious in a general way on how to use the sentences stated in my question. It will help me in other cases than this specific one.

Thanks again for your help and patience.

EDIT: I just want to highlight that I'm not writing something elegant but understandable so it will surely be awkward at some point. The cons of writing for science... :-D

Last edited:
What do you mean by "daily insulation"?

What do you mean by "daily insulation"?

Thank you. I have a very slight dyslexia that pops up when I'm tired. I was talking about insolation.*

EDIT: And the fact that my dictionary in libreoffice doesn't know insolation doesn't help.

*insolation – solar radiation received at the earth's surface. (Collins)

Last edited by a moderator:
So sunlight has the effect of making rocks fall?
:-?

For this reason focus will be placed on the marl layers as well as experiments. "

I suggest that you discard that sentence and start over.

(There is no reason scientific writing shouldn't be clear.)

So sunlight has the effect of making rocks fall?
:-?

Yes! It is actually quite common. Imagine heating and cooling something over and over and over. At some point you will have fractures appearing and rocks will fall.
So yes fire beats earth ;-)

I've already rewritten it. Of course scientific writing should be clear. What I meant is that it should not be elegant. For example you should write as packed as possible and the text doesn't breath.

But the topic slowly digress. I was really wondering how my 4 initial wording were affecting writing in a general way not in my specific case.

Thanks again for your interest!

For example, you should write as packed as possible, and the text doesn't breathe. (Note changes.)

Well, that's rather elegant.
:up:

But I digress. I was really wondering about the wording in those sentences in post #1. (Modified.)

I am biased. I prefer to use focus as a verb. If there is no good reason to use it as a noun I would not do so.

But I digress. I was really wondering about the wording in those sentences in post #1. (Modified.)

I am biased. I prefer to use focus as a verb. If there is no good reason to use it as a noun I would not do so.

In a scientific paper you can't write "I" or "we" like "we focus on...". You should only use the passive voice (It's called like that right?). So you end up with weird wording like "this study focuses on..." or "the focus is on...". Sometimes you really have to scratch your head in order to write something simple.

And thanks for telling me my writing was elegant. :oops: I'm always trying my best to make it pleasant to read.

EDIT: as I said in my first post, I'm also interested in it because the question is the same with other words. (efforts, interest etc...)

Last edited:
It is called passive voice, but your examples are not in the passive voice.

I would like to see specific examples of the sentences you want to use. Maybe I can be helpful.

And elegant!

In a scientific paper you can't write "I" or "we" like "we focus on...". You should only use the passive voice (It's called like that right?). So you end up with weird wording like "this study focuses on..." or "the focus is on...". Sometimes you really have to scratch your head in order to write something simple.

That's an excellent reason to favor the active voice. Many scientists do so, using I and we as necessary. If your publisher insists on the passive, you might want to protest and look for a better publisher.

Thanks for the correction. I'll try to pay more attention.

There is no sentences after this. (Still thinking about what to say).

"Because of their dark color those marls, will be more susceptible to daily insolation. [STRIKE]Coupled with[/STRIKE] Furthermore, given their weak structure, they will weather quicker than the limestone. [STRIKE]The resulting effect is a[/STRIKE] That will lead to the destabilization [STRIKE]and fall[/STRIKE] of the limestone blocks and cause them to fall. For this reason, the focus [STRIKE]will be placed on the marl layers[/STRIKE] as well as the experiments will be on the marl layers."

Removed. Reason: teechar's advice is excellent.

One note, though: There is no reason not to write "we" or even "I" in an academic article except servility to admittedly dictatorial editors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back