Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand "foot clearance" as "the space needed by foot to avoid touching with other objects such as obstacles." Am I on the right track?

Cambridge Dictionary offers this definition for "clearance": the distance or space that is needed for one thing to avoid touching another thing.

It appears to support my understanding.

=====================
Powered prostheses aim to mimic the missing biological limb with controllers that are finely tuned to replicate the nominal gait pattern of non-amputee individuals. Unfortunately, this control approach poses a problem with real-world ambulation, which includes tasks such as crossing over obstacles, where the prosthesis trajectory must be modified to provide adequate foot clearance and ensure timely foot placement. Here, we show an indirect volitional control approach that enables prosthesis users to walk at different speeds while smoothly and continuously crossing over obstacles of different sizes without explicit classification of the environment.

Source: Science Robotics 22 Jul 2020
https://robotics.sciencemag.org/content/5/44/eaba6635

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand "foot clearance" as "the space needed by a foot to avoid touching [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] other objects. [STRIKE]such as obstacles.[/STRIKE]" Am I on the right track?
Yes. You are on the right track! :up:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is the space required by the feet to move around and avoid obstacles, as distinct from the legroom. The feet jut out of the legs and require more space.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.