Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Does the meaning of ''force'' in the plural change into ''army'', and for example, ''air forces''?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. Have you examples of sentences in which you think the plural form of the word changes the meaning?

There are no examples in my book. The book only says "force"="energy". "Forces"="army".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are no examples in my book. The book only says "force"="energy". "Forces"="army".
Ugh. That's too concise to be useful. You need a better book. (For example, air forces can only refer to the air forces of several countries. One country has one air force.)

Armed forces can just mean one branch of the military (army or coast guard or whatever): She's in the armed forces.

But we often use the term armed forces to combine military branches: All of her family had been in the armed forces — the army, the navy, the coast guard, and the marines.

And we can talk about how different forces can be at work in all kinds of situations: The forces that shaped the mountain range included wind, water, gravity, and glaciers.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. Have you examples of sentences in which you think the plural form of the word changes the meaning?

Do you mean all the examples mentioned in Charlie Bernstein's post don't exist in BrE? "Air forces" of several countries and "air force" of one country, "She is in the armed forces".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Ugh. That's too concise to be useful. You need a better book. (For example, air forces can only refer to the air forces of several countries. One country has one air force.)

Armed forces can just mean one branch of the military (army or coast guard or whatever): She's in the armed forces.

But we often use the term armed forces to combine military branches: All of her family had been in the armed forces — the army, the navy, the coast guard, and the marines.

And we can talk about how different forces can be at work in all kinds of situations: The forces that shaped the mountain range included wind, water, gravity, and glaciers.

Regarding the last passage. Can the word "force" be used in the singular in this meaning?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before the United States Air Force was separated from the Army, the units it comprised were called the US Army Air Forces. That's the only example I can think of where a unit of an army is referred to as "forces".

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Wouldn't it mean that she serves in more than one armed forces? How about 'She is in one of the armed forces of the US?'

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wouldn't it mean that she serves in more than armed forces?

No, you can't serve in more than one of the armed forces at the same time. If we say "She's in the armed forces", we mean "She's in either the British Army, the Royal Navy or the Royal Air Force". If you wanted to know which one, you would have to ask for more information.

(I have used the British armed forces in my example. Obviously, they would be different in different countries.)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No, you can't serve in more than one of the armed forces at the same time. If we say "She's in the armed forces", we mean "She's in either the British Army, the Royal Navy or the Royal Air Force". If you wanted to know which one, you would have to ask for more information.

(I have used the British armed forces in my example. Obviously, they would be different in different countries.)

So in BrE "forces" is used when talking about army, navy or "air force". Each of them is referred to as "force" all three make "forces". Right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So in BrE "forces" is used when talking about army, navy or "air force". Each of them is referred to as "force" all three make "forces". Right?

No.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was in the Royal Air Force in my youth. I was in the forces, not 'a force'.
Interesting to know. It might be a trans-Atlantic difference. Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.