Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could you please check this short paragraph?

Foreign educational institutions may offer better and more courses that suit students' academic requirements. Qualifications gained abroad may pave the way for better job opportunities.
In addition, those studying in a foreign country will be responsible for cooking, cleaning, and paying bills, so it seems that they will be able to become more independent than they used to be.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Could you please check this short paragraph?

Foreign educational institutions may offer better and more courses that suit students' academic requirements. Qualifications gained abroad may pave the way for better job opportunities.
In addition, those studying in a foreign country[STRIKE] will be responsible for [/STRIKE] would need to do their own cooking, cleaning and paying bills, so[STRIKE] it seems that[/STRIKE] they [STRIKE]will be able to become more independent than they used to be[/STRIKE] would learn to be more independent.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks Tedmc.
Could you please tell me why you suggested "would"? What is wrong with "will"? Did you use "would" to make prediction in the future too?

I sometimes have problem understanding the use of "would" in sentences other than "conditional", but I WOULD like to use this verb in my sentences.

Thanks.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In addition, those studying in a foreign country will [STRIKE]be responsible for[/STRIKE] probably have to do their own cooking, housework, [STRIKE]cleaning,[/STRIKE] and laundry, as well as manage their finances, [STRIKE]paying bills,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]so it seems that they will be able[/STRIKE] and that will help them to become more independent. [STRIKE]than they used to be.
[/STRIKE]

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Thanks Tedmc.
Could you please tell me why you suggested "would"? What is wrong with "will"? Did you use "would" to make prediction in the future too?

I sometimes have problem understanding the use of "would" in sentences other than "conditional", but I WOULD like to use this verb in my sentences.

Thanks.

ambitious girl

"Will" implies "a certainty that something will happen" whereas "would" implies "a probability that something will happen". You do not use "will" unless you are sure that something will happen. I think most students but not all (for example, those who stay in hostels or board with families) will need to do their own cooking when they go to study overseas and become more independent.

Last edited:

yi-ing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"Will" implies "a certainty that something will happen" whereas "would" implies "a probability that something will happen".
Doesn't would imply the meaning of conditional? You meant whenever we are not certain about some situations we can use would, like may, might or could that we use in such situations. Is this correct?

For example, lack of physical activity may, might, could, would result in obesity. we don't use will because we are not that sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.