Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
My understanding of the word fuss. It refers to the excessive attention, gaining approval and drawing people's attention even though it appears trivial, unworthy, or unimportant towards trends and fads.

What is the best antonym to "fuss" describing a trend or fads, that deserves commendable purchase and the quality is unrivaled?
As shown in Cambridge dictionary, the word "hype" is informal. I believe it's the word has marketing and media connotations. What is the formal one?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is my understanding of the word fuss: it refers to the excessive attention, gaining approval and drawing people's attention even though it* appears trivial, unworthy, or unimportant towards trends and fads.
*What does "it" refer to?
What is the best antonym to for "fuss" when describing a trend or fads, that or something that deserves commendable purchase and of which the quality is unrivaled?
Note my corrections above. The underlined word isn't appropriate there. I don't know what you're trying to say.
As shown In the Cambridge dictionary, the word "hype" is shown as informal. I believe it's the word has marketing and media connotations.
Note my corrections above.
What is the formal one?
What do you mean? The dictionary already told you that "hype" is informal.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you so much.

*What does "it" refer to?

Refers to "fuss" particularly something you like or people like that seem trivial even though it's popular.

Note my corrections above. The underlined word isn't appropriate there. I don't know what you're trying to say.

I mean by commendable is that a product deserves praising and positive feedback among customers. I should have added "and" after commenable to become "deserves commendable and purchase".

Note my corrections above.

What do you mean? The dictionary already told you that "hype" is informal.

I mean the word hype is informal. I am asking for the formal word for hype.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I mean by commendable is that a product deserves praising and positive feedback among customers.
That's not a good use of the word.
I should have added "and" after commendable to become "deserves commendable and purchase".
That's even worse than the original!

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
That's not a good use of the word.

The word "commendable" collocates with "purchase" as in

Maybe I misused the collocation. Could you please answer my questions in post #1?