Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Are sentences such as "I knew you'd like it!" or "This paint colour is actually nice, I didn't think I would like it" examples of the future in the past form with "would "?

If so, could you talk me through the rationale behind and why the type 3 conditional wouldn't be applicable for these?

Many thanks :)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are sentences such as "I knew you'd like it!" or "This paint colour is actually nice, I didn't think I would like it" examples of the future in the past form with "would "?
I'd be willing to bet that the average UK citizen doesn't understand the concept of "future in the past" any better than the average American. Instead, they would probably say that the speaker of "I knew you'd like it" is expressing pleasure (present tense) at correctly anticipating the other's reaction.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Are sentences such as "I knew you'd like it!" or "This paint colour is actually nice. I didn't think I would like it" examples of the future in the past form with "would "?
Yes. The second one has a comma splice in it. Use a period instead of a comma.
(...) could you talk me through the rationale behind and why the type 3 conditional wouldn't be applicable for these?
These aren't conditional sentences at all! Would has more meanings, uses, and applications than just those typically found in conditional sentences.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The idea behind future in the past is that we have a past narration in which there are multiple events that, although all happened in the past, didn't happen at the same time, i.e., some events happened earlier and some happened later.

Let's say I'm telling you about how I was buying a Christmas gift for my sister. Back when I was in the shop, buying it, I already knew that later, when receiving the gift, she would like it.

For all intents and purposes regarding future in the past, you could see would as the past form of will.

Now: "I know she will like it."
Then: "I knew she would like it."

In a way, future in the past can function kind of like the opposite of the past perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.