Future or Present Tense?

• Thread starter Cap1034
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,609
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cap1034

Does this present continuous imply a future event here? Or does it imply it is in the process of being cancelled here?

Your request to subscribe to the newsletter has remained unconfirmed for more than 48h and is being cancelled. If you

want it executed, but you were unable to send the confirmation in time,
then just re-issue the command to get a new confirmation code. The one
you were sent before can no longer be used.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is in the process of being cancelled. It could also say "has been cancelled." It's probably better that way, unless the cancellation takes some amount of time.

More than likely, by the time you read the note, the cancellation is a completed event.

C

Cap1034

But to say it means future like, "I'm going to the US this week." is also possible?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. It is describing an event that is happening now. If they meant they would cancel in the future, they would say "your request will be cancelled." Or "is going to be cancelled."

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
But to say it means future like, "I'm going to the US this week." is also possible? It is possible in this sentence, but not in your original sentence.
I just want to clarify a response that has previously been given to this question. It seems to me that this question is separate from your original post. If that is the case, the answer is that we frequently use the present continuous to signify a planned futere event. "She's coming for a visit next month."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I just want to clarify a response that has previously been given to this question. It seems to me that this question is separete from your original post. If that is the case, the answer is that we frequently use the present continuous to signify a planned future event. "She's coming for a visit next month."

Good point. Note that you need time or other context clues in the sentence.

"I'm driving to New York." vs "I'm driving to New York next week."

Status
Not open for further replies.