GA Transcription Winnie the pooh- is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehlwurm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello everybody,
I transcriped an excerpt from "winnie the pooh" on the standards of the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary by Jones; General American.
I am not a native speaker and had traoubles to figure out the stress and also different connencted speech features like assimilation, ellison and so on. I would really appreciate it if you tell me your opinion about my results and let me know which words/parts you would transcribe differntly.

here the original text:
“Terrible and Sad,” sad Pooh, “because Eeyore, who is a friend of mine, has lost his tail.
And he’s moping about it. So could you very kindly tell me how to find it for him?”
“Well,” said Owl, “the customary procedure in such cases is as follows.”
“What does Crustimoney Proseedcake mean?” said Pooh.
“For I am a Bear of very Little Brain, and long words Bother me.”

transcription:
/ ˈterəbəl ænd sæd | sed puː | bɪˈkɑːz ˈiːɔːr | huːz ə frend əv maɪn | həz lɑːst ɪz teɪl ən hiːz moʊpɪŋ əˈbaʊt ɪt | soʊ kədʒu ˈveri ˈkaɪndli tel miː haʊ tə faɪnd ɪt fɚ ɪm | wel | sæd aʊl | ðə ˈkʌstəmeri prəˈsiːdʒɚ ɪn sʌtʃ keɪsɪz ɪz | əz ˈfɑːloʊz | hwʌt dəz ˈkrʌstiˌmʌni prəsiːdkeɪk miːn | səd puː | aɪ əm ə ber əv ˈveri ˈlɪt̬əl breɪn ən lɑːŋ wɝːdz ˈbɑðɚ mi /

Thanks a lot

PHenry1026

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Greetings,

You can test the accuracy of your transcriptions by using the following Text to Speech web site:

http://www.ivona.com/us/

For example, to test your first transcription, simple enter following in the Text Area, choose an American English voice and press play:

<phoneme alphabet="ipa" ph="ˈterəbəl ænd sæd"></phoneme>

;-) Percy

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
GA isn't my language, but for an American are 'lost' and 'last' synonyms? [Afterthought: hmm, perhaps BRP /lɒst/ vs /lɑ:st/ = GA /lɑ:st/ vs /læst/...? Why don't I just shut up? :oops: ]

b

Status
Not open for further replies.