Garry ran his cloth over the half-wet chair, trying to dry it so he could sit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Imagine you want to sit on a chair that's slightly wet and you wipe it with your cloth. How can that be expressed? Are these correct?

1. Garry ran his cloth over the half-wet chair, trying to dry it so he could sit on it.
2. Garry ran his cloth over the chair, trying to wipe the moisture off it, and took a seat.

"Gary wiped the chair so that he could sit on it."
"Gary wiped the chair dry and sat down".

Keep it simple. "Half-wet" and "trying to dry" are completely unnecessary.

I need to mention the moisture and water.

Is number two correct?

Why do you "need" to mention it? Do you mean you WANT to mention it?

See the second option I just added which covers it.

Alternatively:
"Gary wiped the water/moisture off the chair and sat down."

Last edited:
@alpacinou Whilst "Gary" is the more common spelling, there was nothing wrong with "Garry" in your original. I have a friend who spells it that way.
Thank you! Are the two sentences in post 1 okay?

@alpacinou Whilst "Gary" is the more common spelling, there was nothing wrong with "Garry" in your original. I have a friend who spells it that way.
Ah. I didn't notice that, though I agree of course. I assumed it was the usual Gary.

As you can see from the fact that I added a "Like" to Barque's response, I didn't find either of your original sentences natural.

As you can see from the fact that I added a "Like" to Barque's response, I didn't find either of your original sentences natural.
How would you express the idea?

I'm not emsr2d2 but I'd express it in one of the three ways I suggested. I can think of a few more if you're interested.

How would you express the idea?
Both of Barque's suggestions were great. That's why I hit "Like". If I'd had any other suggestions, I would have included them in post #5.

Why say "ran his cloth over the chair to wipe mosture off it" when you can say "wipe the chair dry"?

Last edited:
I’d only mention the moisture/dampness on the chair if its source (blood/tears/amniotic fluid/Remy Martin etc) had any relevance to the narrative.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back